HELP: What happens when you reach your upload limit?

I've searched high and low and can't find any information on this. I have a few questions about when you've used your monthly upload limit.

Can you no longer make new notes?

Are they just stored locally?

Will new notes get synched next month?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum :)

I will quote others here ;)

Within the desktop client you can create an offline notebook that basically stores your data to the local hard drive and does not sync. You can store as much data as you want within local notebooks that does not impact your quota at all.

Hope this helps.

It would except for that fact that i wouldn't be able to change this to a Sync'd notebook later on when the new month began. So i would have to create a offline notebook, wait to the new month, then export the data, create a sync'd notebook and then import. Is there anyway around that....probably not from what i read in the forum.

You just move the notes from an unsynced notebook to a synced notebook, when your upload amount refreshes. I do this all the time. NBD.

The whole app doesn't "shut down". But yeah, if you are trying to do something that you cannot do until your upload limit refreshes, you'll get annoying messages informing you of this. Seems reasonable to me, so the user is aware of this.

So, create a local notebook, in which you can make as many notes as you want.

Once your cycle refreshes, sync (so that the client knows it has refreshed) and then move the notes into a synced notebook. :)

• Level 5*

I've tried (in my dumb ignorant days, many hours ago) to upload more than the maximum for one note, and just got an error message on sync. At the time EN wasn't very explicit about the reason for the failure, which nearly led to me taking a router apart looking for a comms issue; but hopefully this will have changed. Either way I suspect you'll just get an error and be unable to close the note. Alternatively of course you could make use of that nice little facility to upgrade your limit for a month and then close the note, which should get round your immediate problem (and quite a few subsequent ones) while you work out when the next cycle starts.

• Like 1

Also, you can't add any notes to sync'd notebooks. You need to add them to local/non-sync'ed notebooks, which are only available on the Windows & Mac desktop clients. Once you know your upload limit has refreshed (verified by logging onto the web client), you will need to sync the Mac/Windows client first, so the app on your desktop gets the newly refreshed upload limit from the EN servers. Then, you can move the notes from the local notebook to the sync'd notebook.

IDK what happens to auto sent notes (IE FastEver, forwarded emails, IFTT, etc) if you've exceeded your limit. They may end up in the netherworld.

• Level 5*

Ironically I just ran into this problem and found a couple of nasty traps.

My online usage and my desktop usage don't match. I've been lazily going by my mobile usage figure because it's in front of my nose, and not looking at the desktop number because I have to click an icon to open the window. The icon was getting greener, which is to be expected because I've only got 2 days left to the end of this cycle; but my mobile says "used 34%" and I didn't look further.

Unfortunately the mobile (and the web) and the desktop usage level is different by 540MB(!!) and according to the desktop I just exceeded my monthly usage. Things have locked down - I can't add any more notes, except into my new "overflow" notebook otherwise I get an error which says "this action can't be completed" while creating a note. This error REALLY means what it says on the can, because the new note I created got lost as I switched to the new notebook.

The account went "over the top" while I was uploading several files, and I noticed a fleeting warning that I'd got to 95% of my usage, but the final 50MB went by rather fast and the uploads hit the limit before I could do any more.

I did what I could to rescue the error - emptied trash on desktop and web, synced again and restarted, but no joy. There's a ticket # 16051-67009 + error log in the queue somewhere guys..

It is only two days to my next allocation, and it's Friday, and I know I can buy some more space if I need it.. but that was an interruption to my orderly day I did not need!

I do think we need to make things a bit clearer at the top end of the usage bar - specifically:

1. Make the usage bar on the Windows desktop version bigger
  2. Once the account hits the limit, automatically send any new notes to an "overflow" notebook
  3. Make the usage warning pop up at 75% and at each subsequent 10% to 100
  4. Check the desktop usage numbers against the server, and if there's a serious discrepancy throw a warning error!
  5. Check the usage available against the import folder contents and throw an error if there's not enough capacity to complete the process.

Wonder what I can do for the next 2 days?

:o

• Like 1

Unfortunately the mobile (and the web) and the desktop usage level is different by 540MB(!!) and according to the desktop I just exceeded my monthly usage.

IIRC, the desktop amount includes what it last received from the EN servers as your usage plus any notes you've added/changed on the desktop. IOW, if the servers (source of all truths) say you've use 855 mb & you just one second ago added a 100 mb note to the desktop client (but not sync'd), the desktop will show 955 used. One of the pitfalls of using multiple computers/devices simultaneously is that if your ISP auto forwards an email to the EN servers (or you used the Chrome clipper) and added 110 mb (directly to the EN servers) before your desktop sync'd then you would not be able to sync that 100 mb note from your desktop.

I think (hope?) this makes sense...???

IDK if that's what may have happened in your case. But this is the reason I prefer to not try to use up all my upload limit each month. I like leaving a bit of a buffer.

• Level 5*

Thanks for the posts guys (and BnF) - the support herd must have worked some magic because I came back to the machine after several hours* to find I gained a spare 40% capacity. Thank you Oh Great Green Technologically Talented Pachyderm Peeps. Of course I then ran it back up to 90% rather quickly, but there's only one day to go now.

Howso'mever - my point wasn't (entirely) the personal angst, but the issue that Evernote does close you down rather finally once you get to the magic 1024 megabytes. Please Evernote, can we have a bit more warning and a bit more assistance for muppets like me when the usage limit kicks in?

* I stomped off earlier in mild frustration to find Mrs Umped cleaning kitchen tiles. With better judgement temporarily derailed I offered to help. After the afore-mentioned hours, Mrs U is now deeply suspicious of my sudden interest in routine housework and I have washday-red hands. When I get done here I'm going to have to find some hand cream.

Thanks for the posts guys (and BnF) - the support herd must have worked some magic because I came back to the machine after several hours* to find I gained a spare 40% capacity. Thank you Oh Great Green Technologically Talented Pachyderm Peeps. Of course I then ran it back up to 90% rather quickly, but there's only one day to go now.

Howso'mever - my point wasn't (entirely) the personal angst, but the issue that Evernote does close you down rather finally once you get to the magic 1024 megabytes. Please Evernote, can we have a bit more warning and a bit more assistance for muppets like me when the usage limit kicks in?

* I stomped off earlier in mild frustration to find Mrs Umped cleaning kitchen tiles. With better judgement temporarily derailed I offered to help. After the afore-mentioned hours, Mrs U is now deeply suspicious of my sudden interest in routine housework and I have washday-red hands. When I get done here I'm going to have to find some hand cream.

LOL!!!

Psssttt... Udderly Smooth mixed with a tiny bit of baby oil...

Noted, I believe the Mac client does a better job than the Windows Client. I'll review both clients and see when we can figure something out and schedule it in

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Thanks again all - I'm sure it's not related but yesterday morning my laptop decided to have a BSOD day. Having gotten back online now after some running repairs I'm recovering from withdrawal symptoms.

Got really smooth hands though (Thanks BnF :))

• 4 months later...

I'm puzzled by the same problem, at the moment online EN show 250 MB upload allowance, one laptop with Windows show the same, one other laptop says upload allowance is reached and i cannot add any more notes. But strangely enough i still can add notes via web and the other machine. Re syncing doesn't help. Neither reinstalling the windows client. The problem occured after uploading a lot of bigger notes (40Mb each total 500 Mb starting at 200 Mb ending at around 700 Mb only one laptop thinks it's more than 1Gb) I don't understand why the client doesn't correct this failure because EN states online is leading.

I'm puzzled by the same problem, at the moment online EN show 250 MB upload allowance, one laptop with Windows show the same, one other laptop says upload allowance is reached and i cannot add any more notes. But strangely enough i still can add notes via web and the other machine. Re syncing doesn't help. Neither reinstalling the windows client. The problem occured after uploading a lot of bigger notes (40Mb each total 500 Mb starting at 200 Mb ending at around 700 Mb only one laptop thinks it's more than 1Gb) I don't understand why the client doesn't correct this failure because EN states online is leading.

On the laptop, that says you've reached your limit, did you empty the trash?

@BNF yes i executed all the tips in this discussion but nothing seems to correct this problem.

I did a little experiment today. I backupped the exb database uninstalled EN and cleared everything related to EN on this machine also trash etc.

Then i reinstalled EN as i was adding a new device to my account. After the system started to synchronize i stopped EN and replaced the new exb database with the original one (almost 8Gb).

Guess what? Still reached upload limit.

To me there are 2 options, or the upload information is in this database or EN keeps track online per device how much is uploaded and not syncing correctly over all the devices.

Bingo! I replaced the the database exb with the one from the other Windows machine and it gives now the correct upload space available. Conclusion the information is in the database and not synced correctly online with the other devices. Bug?

• Level 5*

I've got an ongoing issue with upload stats aired in a previous thread and with a support ticket - briefly as with the examples above, my web and mobile upload stats show me (courtesy of a recent reset) as using 25MB of my limit, while my desktop shows 229MB. The support team suggested the classic - completely close Evernote, backup the database, uninstall the application and then re-install allowing the server database to sync to my new install. I'm (reasonably) sure that would work, but it's an hour or several that I don't have at the moment. I'll get around to it - but if this is happening, wouldn't it be convenient to have a menu option to reset the upload count / sync it with the server setting?

You can *try* using the Optimize Database option from the DebugMenu. It generally doesn't work for this, but if you don't have time to rebuild your database the "right" way, it's worth a shot and won't actually hurt anything.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

So, there's one important thing you never should do with Ever: causing data losses. That's actually happening in my case, data limit reached, and the program is producing empty notes, so, information is going lost. What you indicate in your dialog box about local storage, seems to be erroneous. May be I should start to make copies from Evernote data files, only just in case, next time existing data were lost.

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Eiden said:

What you indicate in your dialog box about local storage, seems to be erroneous.

Are you saying empty notes are created in your Local Notebook?

>>May be I should start to make copies from Evernote data files

Backing up your data is always a good idea, particularly so with Local Notebooks

In your case though, won't you just be backing up empty notes?

• Level 5*

That is a pretty old comment.  Back when the premium limit was 1GB/month they had this option but I think it was removed when the premium amount was increased to 10GB/month.

Edit - now that I think about this some more, the premium limit was unlimited for a period of time.  That was likely when the option was removed.

On 2017. 02. 22. at 3:24 PM, DTLow said:

Are you saying empty notes are created in your Local Notebook?

No, empty notes are created in the online notebooks, but without any warning or advice. Changes to existing notebooks are disappearing also without warnings. So data is easily going lost. (Local notebooks seem to be ok.)

Today, a new problem: Evernote indicated yesterday, I had 0 days left and 100 percent of space filled (full). Today, I have 27 days left and still 100 percent filled. What???

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Eiden said:

o, empty notes are created in the online notebooks, but without any warning or advice. Changes to existing notebooks are disappearing also without warnings. So data is easily going lost.

Are you still on the topic of "What happens when you reach your upload limit?"
As per previous posts, you can continue to add/change notes in Local Notebooks
If you're at your limit, you should not make changes to notes in any synced notebooks.  

Best advice is to never get close to your limit when using synced notebooks
If you need this upload limit - subscribe to a paid account

• Level 5*
6 minutes ago, Eiden said:

Today, 26 days left and still 100 percent full. Strange.

Are these figures from the web platfom?
It's been reported that the information doesn't get updated correctly on the devices

On the web page, account summary: "Monthly Usage
60 MB (99%) remaining this month
Your monthly limit resets in 26 days"

In the Windosw software: "Monthly upload  allowance used: 60 MB of 60 MB, 100%. 26 days left in cycle." 

Seems to be a large bug.

---

I think the software is lying, saying that after the monthly limit, notebooks are stored locally. No, notebooks are stored empty. I insist that nothing should allowe or cause data losses. 

• Level 5*
3 minutes ago, Eiden said:

On the web page, account summary: "Monthly Usage
60 MB (99%) remaining this month
Your monthly limit resets in 26 days"

I'd go with the   60 MB (99%) remaining this month

• Level 5*
11 minutes ago, Eiden said:

I think the software is lying, saying that after the monthly limit, notebooks are stored locally.

Just to be clear, local notebooks are not created "after the monthly limit"58b16d7607ea2_ScreenShot2017-02-25at3_41_17AM.png.7d7425cb92bb8f24df9ff7b9cf1ae394.png

Local Notebooks are created by the user
The default is a synced notebook

(Image is from my Mac)

7 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'd go with the   60 MB (99%) remaining this month

May be I have mentioned that your software produces empty notes in online notebooks, throwing my data away, sending it to some black hole. That hasn't changed since I have 60 MB storage place again, theoretically.

• Level 5*
5 hours ago, Eiden said:

May be I have mentioned that your software

Note - this is a user discussion forum and we're all users
Its not my software

Evernote employees do pop in occasionally; they are clearly identified in the sidebar under their picture

You can contact Evernote support at   Twitter @evernotehelps

• 2 years later...

Someone mentioned a green bar on top of the page... I do not see that. In fact, my pages look completely different than what other seem to see.

I am new to this, how do i create folders that do not sync for when I am almost done my monthly storage? I have a lot of things to catalog so I know that the first month or so I will have to figure something out. Once I am done my backlog, I will probably only use a few MB per month or even none at all so I will not worry later but it's now that I need to understand how it works.

Thanks

• Level 5*
On 1/18/2020 at 8:19 PM, Kitzy said:

Someone mentioned a green bar on top of the page... I do not see that. In fact, my pages look completely different than what other seem to see.

I am new to this, how do i create folders that do not sync for when I am almost done my monthly storage? I have a lot of things to catalog so I know that the first month or so I will have to figure something out. Once I am done my backlog, I will probably only use a few MB per month or even none at all so I will not worry later but it's now that I need to understand how it works.

Thanks

Hi.  FAQ for upload limits & What is a local notebook?

• Level 5

To watch your status, you can go to the web client. The upload situation is found in your account settings.

If you have an initial upload Situation, you can prepare things using the local notebook method on a desktop client, then upgrade for one month to a Premium account, use the 10GB limit to move stuff to the server, and fall back to Basic again. Your data will still be there and accessible.

Just be aware that Premium functions like the server based search will not work any longer. And when you have created notes above 50MB, if you edit one of them you will not be able to sync the changes back because you are then above your reduced limit. So if this is your strategy, better keep the notes under the Basic limits for further use.