(Archived) Question about the Evernote Premium gift

• Level 5*

I'd like to get my son an Evernote Premium gift for high school graduation. He doesn't need it now but is getting an iPad and Livescribe smartpen for college this fall and that would mesh perfectly with a premium subscription.

My question is, if we get him the gift now, can he wait until school starts to activate it? Having it activate now would just waste 2-3 months this summer.

• Level 5*

I'd like to get my son an Evernote Premium gift for high school graduation. He doesn't need it now but is getting an iPad and Livescribe smartpen for college this fall and that would mesh perfectly with a premium subscription.

My question is, if we get him the gift now, can he wait until school starts to activate it? Having it activate now would just waste 2-3 months this summer.

i don't know the answer, but if your son were to digitize his textbooks and upload them into his account over the summer, then he would be in good shape. i have dictionaries and other materials in evernote as well. a single search for mitochondria could tell him not only what is in his notes, but in every textbook as well. very cool.

by the way, if you get him a scansnap too he can digiize all of his high school notes and draw on that as well :)

i could see a use for evernote over the summer.

Your son's a lucky kid, Ed. I'm sure you need to buy the pen right now (the deal runs out in 25 hours), and the language of the deal suggests you also need to register it by April 30.

I agree with GrumpyMonkey: If your son takes advantage of the gift from his parents, he'll spend a bit of time this summer learning how to use Evernote before classes start, and maybe being as proactive as GrumpyMonkey suggested, by putting useful information into his account. Even if he doesn't do any of that, though, setting this up now "wastes" three or four months—meaning it still gets you/him eight or nine free months that you wouldn't have if you miss the deal.

• Level 5*

GrumpyMonkey, should be no need to scan in notes as most will be taken with the livescribe. I will see what the scanning solution is at school. they may have scanners that can email to their accounts or drop data in folders. If not, then yeah, a scansnap would be useful. Maybe Christmas.

The main reason for the iPad is many textbooks are available on that device, so no need to scan in hundreds of pages.

Summer 2012 is his last hurrah before school starts. I'm not going to have him spend the summer working on school things.

petermartin, yeah, i know about the livescribe deal, but can't get it today.

GrumpyMonkey, should be no need to scan in notes as most will be taken with the livescribe.

I understood GrumpyMonkey to be recommending that he scan his already-taken high school notes and upload them to Evernote to have instantly accesible in college.

EDIT: I see I may have misunderstood GrumpyMonkey. Anyway, then what I said is my recommendation. :) I wish I had had my high school notes accesible when I was in college.

petermartin, yeah, i know about the livescribe deal, but can't get it today.

Hmm, then I don't understand the question you asked in your first post:

If you purchase the gift card directly from Evernote it is good until you use the code and activate the Premium subscription. So you can buy it now as a graduation gift and your son can then activate it when college starts. Hope this helps.

• Level 5*

If you purchase the gift card directly from Evernote it is good until you use the code and activate the Premium subscription. So you can buy it now as a graduation gift and your son can then activate it when college starts. Hope this helps.

Thanks Phil!

Archived