(Archived) REQUEST: More "desktop" functionality across platforms

Firstly I love Evernote and am pleased to see it growing and developing.

But one thought I have is the need for more "desktop" functionality across platforms.

For those of us who travel a lot and run our lives using iPhone and iPad, having the same desktop functions, such as the power to copy a template note to a new notebook, would make EN much more attractive as a tool for productivity.

I am sure there are plenty of technical reasons but life has taught me one thing: developers are very very clever people but they rarely use their products in the real world - hence the reason why user feedback is so important.

But thanks for what's been created thus far - it's a good product and one I'm happy to recommend.

• Level 5*

Evernote seems to have an ongoing policy to harmonise the performance of all their clients, and while I agree with you that <sweeping generalisation alert> developers have a habit of doing what's easiest to code rather than what's most helpful to users </sga>, I'd say that the wildly different features and architectures of the huge number of platforms on which Evernote runs are the main handicap in making them all look and feel the same. There are also practical concerns - I use the Droid and Windows clients, but I wouldn't even want to try keyboarding text or image edits on the Droid. I suffer from fat fingers, bad eyes and a short patience span, and I'm happy to use it as a mobile information gatherer and reference point, but do most of my gardening on the desktop.

That said, +1 for the thanks - don't know how much feedback and awe the herd gets, but it can't hurt to give them a little more.

:)

• Level 5*

Firstly I love Evernote and am pleased to see it growing and developing.

But one thought I have is the need for more "desktop" functionality across platforms.

For those of us who travel a lot and run our lives using iPhone and iPad, having the same desktop functions, such as the power to copy a template note to a new notebook, would make EN much more attractive as a tool for productivity.

I am sure there are plenty of technical reasons but life has taught me one thing: developers are very very clever people but they rarely use their products in the real world - hence the reason why user feedback is so important.

But thanks for what's been created thus far - it's a good product and one I'm happy to recommend.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

I use the ipad as my primary work device and the lack of desktop functionality is certainly an issue, but one that plagues most apps. my impression is that the ios environment favors gamification or narrowly focused apps rather than high level productivity apps. The app is much improved compared to this time last year, so maybe 2012 will see similar progress :)

• Level 5*

While Evernote has a stated goal of parity across platforms, the iPad / iOS has certain design limitations that prevent it from having the full capability of a desktop/laptop computer.

Providing full rich text support on the iPad has turned out to be a huge challenge for Evernote. It is still a work in progress.

Many users have expressed issues with the EN iPad UI, often asking for a UI more like EN Mac.

You may want to consider other very portable devices like the MacBook Air and Windows ultrabooks that allow you to run EN Mac and EN Win. I tried making iPad work for over a year, but found one obstacle after another when trying to use it as a laptop replacement (mod-heavy typing, rich text formatting sharing of files between apps, etc). I have been using a MBA for over a year now with great success. I find it as portable as the iPad, but with all the power and features of a laptop.

• Level 5*

While Evernote has a stated goal of parity across platforms, the iPad / iOS has certain design limitations that prevent it from having the full capability of a desktop/laptop computer.

Providing full rich text support on the iPad has turned out to be a huge challenge for Evernote. It is still a work in progress.

Many users have expressed issues with the EN iPad UI, often asking for a UI more like EN Mac.

You may want to consider other very portable devices like the MacBook Air and Windows ultrabooks that allow you to run EN Mac and EN Win. I tried making iPad work for over a year, but found one obstacle after another when trying to use it as a laptop replacement (mod-heavy typing, rich text formatting sharing of files between apps, etc). I have been using a MBA for over a year now with great success. I find it as portable as the iPad, but with all the power and features of a laptop.

You know I want to give my regular speel about iPads here as a retort, but I'll just direct the op to my website instead :)

http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/writingipad.html

Archived