(Archived) Automatic link creation

While scanning the forum it seems a lot of people want note to note linking to turn their Evernote notebooks into their own wiki's. Even though I have only been using this program for about a month I can see that it would make using it easier and more fun. My proposal is for evernote to support automatic linking of notes like in the app Tomboy. That is when a notes name is mentioned in another note a link is created. Links should also be able to make links in the way [[note|name of linked note]] like wikipedia or even linking multiple notes (or urls) in the way [[note|link,link,link,url]]. Its just an idea but I think many users like myself would enjoy seeing their networks of links grow and it would provide easy access between related notes.

Linking in EN would also work well with tabs as you could control click! :)

• Level 5*

voodoopad, bladewiki, notational velocity, and other programs provide great support for linking up one's notes. call it a "wiki" or just a way to organize your thoughts, this is something people have long asked evernote to provide. i don't know why they don't. it is a shame, because this would transform evernote from a kind of virtual junk drawer (for many people) into a powerful tool for getting stuff done.

• Level 5*
Depends on the client are using - assuming you are using Windows as you are complaining about the lack of a feature that already exists, take a look here...

https://support.evernote.com/link/porta ... ngle-notes

Thanks. Actually, I am using Mac. I have never been able to do this. When I right-click on a note, all I can do that resembles that is to share a link with someone. But, that is different, and makes my note publicly viewable. I am complaining about a feature that already exists (I guess), because I have never been able to find it.

• Level 5*
To create a link to a specific note using Evernote for Windows or Mac, right-click the note in the note list and choose Copy Note Link. A link to that note will be placed in the system clipboard, ready to be pasted into whichever application you like. These links can be used to link directly between notes as well as linking to specific notes from within other applications or contexts. Links to individual notes will also work on our Android and iOS clients.
  • Level 5*
To create a link to a specific note using Evernote for Windows or Mac, right-click the note in the note list and choose Copy Note Link. A link to that note will be placed in the system clipboard, ready to be pasted into whichever application you like. These links can be used to link directly between notes as well as linking to specific notes from within other applications or contexts. Links to individual notes will also work on our Android and iOS clients.

Yes. I understand that. As I said, the option does not appear when I right click. I seem to have Evernote version 2.1.1. There is an Evernote version 3.0, but for some reason, my computer is not recognizing that it needs to go and get that update. Perhaps that is the problem.

EDIT: That solved the problem. I don't know why Evernote wouldn't update. I had to download the new version and overwrite it.

• Level 5*
I use a mac and a windows as far as I know you can only link to url's. Anyway, even if you can nobody would go through linking every word, automatic link creation is the way to go

The Windows version, at least, allows you to create links to individual notes. Right click on a note in a note list, select Copy Note Link. Paste it into another note.

• Level 5*
I use a mac and a windows as far as I know you can only link to url's. Anyway, even if you can nobody would go through linking every word, automatic link creation is the way to go

Sounds like you are looking for a wiki product, which Evernote is not.

If you want a wiki, why not use a wiki?

Ok now i've tried voodoopad. Its a great product but even though it has all the features which I would like to see in EN I think i'll stick to EN. You cant beat free syncing to the cloud and access from multiple computers! Not to mention all the other cool features that they keep releasing

Archived