(Archived) HELP: Export of stack results in zero notes exported

davidtilley

Idea

Hi all,

I am using evernote and am trying to do an html export of a stack of notebooks. It seems to let me try (right click on selected stack)

the result is a pop up that says "Export Complete: Exported 0 notes" and lets me say ok as if thats ok by me.

Any thoughts on why this does not work for me?

Dave

11 replies to this idea

Sadly, I have two main uses for evernote and one of them is about putting together thoughts, putting the thoughts in order and then exporting into one file. When the export does not work, well, it makes me look for my moleskine. Of course I could us a pc laptop instead of a mac but get real.

:(

Of course if they decide to fix this bug, it would be good if I could order the notes in a specific order not by date or by alphabetics. Just simple "I want this one first and then this one second."

• Level 5*

I think so. Still not sure why OP claims it worked fine on the PC. Right-click on a stack in the notebook tree doesn't give the Export menu entry; if you have a stack selected in the notebook tree, then File / Export... exports the currently selected note. Maybe it didn't really work after all.

Is this going to get fixed? I just tried the beta version 3.2 beta 2 (Mac) and you still can NOT export stacks. I right click on a stack and select Export

I have over 100 notes in this stack. Trying to export each Notebook individually would take me hours. Every time I try to export the stack I get the message "Exported 0 Notes".

It appears this has been reported several months ago. What is the status on this? I'd like to convert to premium but not if I have to spend hours and hours exporting selected notebooks one at a time.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

David

Is this going to get fixed? I just tried the beta version 3.2 beta 2 (Mac) and you still can NOT export stacks. I right click on a stack and select Export

I have over 100 notes in this stack. Trying to export each Notebook individually would take me hours. Every time I try to export the stack I get the message "Exported 0 Notes".

It appears this has been reported several months ago. What is the status on this? I'd like to convert to premium but not if I have to spend hours and hours exporting selected notebooks one at a time.

David

AFAIK, it's not clear that anything is broken. (shrug)

You can always apply a tag to the notes you want to export, select the notes based upon tag & export that way.

Hi BurgersNFries. Thank you for the reply. Love Vail BTW. :)

Maybe I'm missing something and you can assist me. I'm trying to export a group of notebooks (63 in total) and their corresponding notes (186 in total) into a single .envx file while preserving the relationship between the notes and the notebooks. I'm doing this so I can transfer them to another account so I can separate personal and business notes. I can't find a way to multi-select notebooks and use the export tool so I added them to a stack in order to group them. The context menu for a stack includes "Export Notes From Stack" so I naturally assumed Evernote would do exactly that. I also assumed that the resulting .envx file would include the notebooks so they are preserved on import. If there is an easier way to accomplish what I'm trying to do, please enlighten me :) I'm working on an AppleScript solution but would be most grateful if another solution already existed.

At the present time (from my point of view) one of the following two possibilities exist. I'll let you choose which one makes sense from your point of view. Either 1) users should be able to export a stack of notebooks/notes and this feature is broken or 2) users are not able to export a stack and shouldn't be able to right click and select "Export notes in Stack". One or the other has to be a bug. Either the feature is broken or "Export Notes From Stack" should be removed from the context menu.

I certainly hope the feature is intended and simply doesn't work (option #1). It only makes sense to be able to export and entire stack of notebooks so they can be imported in the same structure. I can select all the documents in my stack (186) by hitting Command+A. I can then export all 186 notes; however, this doesn't allow me to preserve the original notebooks they currently reside in. For me to do what you are suggesting it would take me hours of effort to try and put them back together after importing them.

CONCLUSION: I really like Evernote. Evernote has come a long way; however, it is lacking in a few areas and I'd like to help if I can. I might be completely off base but I think users either need (or will someday need) a quick/easy/efficient way to transfer/copy/duplicate stacks or groups of notebooks to another account. The only feature Evernote has to facilitate this is Export/Import. AKAIK there is no way to export multiple notebooks or stacks at one time. If I try to export each notebook, one at a time, I have to select the notebook, click Export, type the name of the notebook as the filename (I wish they would fix that) and hit Save. When that one is done I have to do the same thing for the remaining 62 notebooks. As a programmer for 30+ years myself, I'm confident this type of feature can be included with minimal effort. You'll need multi-select and/or a loop to export a list of notebooks into a single file.

David

FYI - I've created an AppleScript to do what I needed if anyone is interested. It basically scans the names of each notebook and it finds the ones that starts with a certain "prefix" and exports each one to a separate .enex file within a folder of your choosing using the name of the notebook (e.g., <NotebookName>.enex). I was able to export 63 notebooks containing 186 notes in about 10 seconds. I'm now working on the reverse - Import all notebooks that start with a specific prefix into a new Evernote account. The AppleScripts are easy enough to tweak to your needs. Hope this helps someone save some valuable time.

David

Archived