(Archived) Shared notebooks

Hi!

I have just bought Evernote Premium and so have my wife, so that we could share notes with our smartphones.

But we're having a hard time to figure out how to do that. I've managed to share a notebook to my wife, but she can't add new notes to that notebook from her phone.

What we wanted and expected was that a fully shared notebook would be fully accessable from both accounts, on both accounts widgets and that both accounts could edit, add and delete notes in the notebook.

If that is not what you get, then what are we paying so much money for? Are we missing something or will Evernote not let us share notes? (like shopping lists, mutual todo-lists and so)

• Level 5*

Hi. Are you sharing from the desktop client, or from a 'phone. In my desktop client there's a step in sharing a notebook where you can allow (or not) the people you share with to change the content of a note. I don't know whether that's possible from the 'phone client. Try checking out your notebook's settings via a desktop client.

I am also still surprised why this is not a standard feature already....

I want to share a notebook with my wife. I only found a possibility to share a notebook via an email link. This is not what we want.

I want to share a notebook with another evernote account and both be able to add, modify and delete notes EASILY.....

The easiest way now is to email a note to the evernote email adress of my wife in this case.....

• Level 5*

Have a look at the notebook sharing options in any (?) current desktop client. You should be able to share on a one2many or a one2one basis, and allow for others to either view only, or have full editing rights over the notes you create. Evernote has never made any claims to be a networking or sharing service however - it remembers stuff for its user and allows users to show that information to others. If you wish to share and allow others (in the family perhaps) to add / change information in your notes, you will all need to be premium users. If you wish to allow anyone to add notes to your notebook, you're talking about a Wiki or some other social media outlet.

A big improvement for the UI would be the option to see the normal and the shared notebooks together under a single tab. Now I do look on my normal notebooks and would have to click on "shared" to see those - I don't see a reason for this and it hides those notebooks. Also it is not possible to copy a note from a normal notebook to a shared one with drag & drop (Mac) - I have to use the menubar for that with shared notebooks. For public notebooks the "shared" tab is OK - just to hide them from the private stuff - but those who are published within a closed group do belong to my personal stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

I am with the OP entirely here.

I have signed my wife and I up as Premium users (she iPhone/me Android) and we would like to be able to put our notes into a shared notebook by default and not have it as a separate tab in the desktop client.

Are there any updates on development intentions here?

OK, that's very helpful. Thanks.

So now I think the feature 'enhancement' is that a number of users are willing to pay for two premium subscriptions (a Family Master Pack if you will) - which provides a genuinely shared notebook(s) which is/are constantly sync'd/reconciled with each permissioned author/editor having full decision rights over tagging etc.

Could be a big piece of work for the EN Dev team and perhaps not something in our immediate future, but the current set up isn't going to work for most people in these situations.

OK, that's very helpful. Thanks.

So now I think the feature 'enhancement' is that a number of users are willing to pay for two premium subscriptions (a Family Master Pack if you will) - which provides a genuinely shared notebook(s) which is/are constantly sync'd/reconciled with each permissioned author/editor having full decision rights over tagging etc.

Could be a big piece of work for the EN Dev team and perhaps not something in our immediate future, but the current set up isn't going to work for most people in these situations.

You're welcome.

From Heather's post, it seems it's certainly not in the near or not so near future. It seems to me that when EN was first visualized, it was as a personal data collection/organization/retrieval system. Their goal is to be a 100 year company & store our lifetime of memories. Our jobs & spouses/SOs change over our lifetime, so the goal would be for each person to have an account rather than say a family account. (And since EN can conceivably be used forever for free, that was not in order to make families pay for premium accounts for every family member in order to rake in the big dollars.) They have also stated they made a conscious decision to not make EN an enterprise tool. So it seems to me that collaboration, whether business or personal, was not a high consideration when initially designing EN. Would they do it differently, if they had the chance & knowing what they know now? Maybe. Maybe not. (shrug) Also, technology changes so quickly. Maybe factoring collaboration in would have severely impaired EN when it was first developed (since their goal was/is to also live on many/most popular platforms) & now (or in the future) it would be an easier task to implement. But either way, it's pretty clear that at this point, it's not a easy task & probably not high on the priority list.

Echoing gazumped, there's a good deal of non-mobile functionality available with a shared Evernote account (edit and add, to be specific). I have a few notebooks that I update daily and have regularly edited by a bevy of users.

Additionally, if I'm the owner of a shared notebook, adding and editing a note to a shared notebook via mobile (at least on the iPhone) is the same process as adding a regular note. iOS, at least, also has view functionality for shared notebooks.

So, in addition to the technical limitations and history outlined by BNF, this hopefully helps a bit.

Archived