(Archived) finding text in a long file...

I want to put some text databases on a smart phone. It seems as if the search function in Evernote will tell me if a search term is in a particular note, but not where. Since the file is long, this is less useful.

The file is actually dumped from a Palm Pilot, so it's a bunch of addresses. Maybe someone knows a smarter way to use Evernote to do this?

By long, I mean about 10,000 lines of text. I'm willing to break it up into smaller files, but I'd still like to go to exactly where the search phrase occurs.

thanks,

John

• 6 months later...

I think this is along the lines of having Evernote automatically advance the note containing the search phrase to the first occurence of the phrase. I've used a different product that did this, and then allowed you to use F3 to go to the next occurence. Can something like this be achieved in Evernote?

I think this is along the lines of having Evernote automatically advance the note containing the search phrase to the first occurence of the phrase. I've used a different product that did this, and then allowed you to use F3 to go to the next occurence. Can something like this be achieved in Evernote?

It's best to post your question in the section applicable to the client you are talking about. IE, Evernote for Windows does have a search within the note.

For OP's situation, I would break up the txt file into one address per note. That's how I have my "address book" in Evernote. One entry per person.

• Level 5*

Get an iPhone. It provides searches within notes. You can jump around all you want. I am assuming you have Android. You may want to post there for help.

In my case, I do what BNF does. I typically have one note with a person's business card and basic contact information. For some people, I have lots and lots of information, so I put in note links to related notes (their cvs, websites, etc.).

Funny. This is one type of information that I don't foresee storing in Evernote. I settled on Google Contacts a while back and have put some effort into organizing it properly. I make extensive use of the Contacts Notes function to keep details about the contact.

The recent integration with Google+ Circles has reinforced that decision.

Archived