(Archived) feature request: improving tagging of new notes

I tag everything I clip to evernote. At the very least, I tag new notes "inbox" and then process them later, adding more informative tags.

Why can't the tag dialog be automatically displayed when I add/clip to create a new note? Evernote makes it quick and easy to add notes. But the process of tagging new notes is more cumbersome than it needs to be. The more quickly I can tag notes, the less likely creating a note will disrupt me from my work flow.

If I could change one thing about evernote, it would be streamlining the tagging of new notes as they come into the system. I'd make this quick, keyboard friendly, have good defaults, and with better cues about potentially useful tags.

Some ideas for a redesign:

• [*:3ln8xcam] Add option to always display the tag dialog when you add/clip to create a new note
    [*:3ln8xcam] Make it possible to define default tags
    [*:3ln8xcam] Modify tag dialog to select both tags and notebooks for new notes
    [*:3ln8xcam] Make the tag dialog super keyboard friendly (it's not bad now, but could be better)
    [*:3ln8xcam] Recommend tags, like the del.icio.us firefox extension (if evernote is my external memory it should cue me about what's in my memory as I tag things).

If you are discussing it, is there a way you can combine the functions of EN and the clipper into one icon in the system tray?

I know it is possible, as OneNote has one icon on the system tray. You right click it, and get the options for either.

I don't like any more clutter in the system tray than I have to.

-Gary

If you are discussing it, is there a way you can combine the functions of EN and the clipper into one icon in the system tray?

Gary, I think you can read people's minds. :) We merged the clipper and main UI together several days ago, and now they share the same icon. This will be available to the public in a month or so.

I tag everything I clip to evernote. At the very least, I tag new notes "inbox" and then process them later, adding more informative tags.

Only to say, I agree wholeheartedly with kfast on every point. Excellent suggestions. The excessive number of mouse clicks necessary to tag an incoming note often causes me to revert to "I'll go fix these later". Being all too human, I forget and/or let them pile up and end up with a bit of a taggy mess.

hi,

I hope this will improve the GUI of the adding tags in the WEB version (or desktop also as they should work the same in my opinion).

If we have tags ORDERED in the tag list, it becomes awkward to have to look at a flat alphabetical list of tag (enormous) when cliking on the add tag to note buton.. I feel completely lost.

Tom

Archived