(Archived) Deleting duplicate web pages

It is so easy to downloading web pages in EN that it is possible to download the same page

more than once. Is there an easy way to delete duplicate pages other than manually? Something like purge duplicates?

Is this function (automatically remove duplicate pages) important to you?

John

• Level 5

There is no automatic dupe deletion option in Evernote. As a user with 9,000 notes, I prefer to manually handle duplicates. The only time I have seen a dupe was when I scanned a document twice.

It is so easy to downloading web pages in EN that it is possible to download the same page

more than once. Is there an easy way to delete duplicate pages other than manually? Something like purge duplicates?

Nope. The best way is to sort the notes by title. If you see notes with the exact same title, you can see if they are dups & delete one, if you wish. Also, sometimes, when doing a search, I'll realize I have dups & then I'll delete one.

Is this function (automatically remove duplicate pages) important to you?

Nope. I'd rather err on the side of caution & have dups rather than missing notes. I also have a premium account, so I have a gig to work with each month.

• Level 5

Once a week, usually on Sunday, I will run a saved search to review the notes I added over the previous week. This might be useful for spotting recent duplicate web captures.

• -created:day created:week
    This search finds everything created since Sunday.

or

• -created:day created:week-1
    This search finds everything created since last Sunday.

There is no automatic dupe deletion option in Evernote. As a user with 9,000 notes, I prefer to manually handle duplicates. The only time I have seen a dupe was when I scanned a document twice.

Finally I think it is not possible for the software to detect duplicates as 2 identical pages clipped at a few seconds intervals are not duplicates as they have a different download time.

Also, the same page downloaded at different dates/ times may not have the same content.

Useless thread :( ... unless EN can read the creation date/time of the web page and not it's download time

John

• Level 5*
Finally I think it is not possible for the software to detect duplicates as 2 identical pages clipped at a few seconds intervals are not duplicates as they have a different download time.

Also, the same page downloaded at different dates/ times may not have the same content.

If you're talking about clipped web pages, why wouldn't you sort using the Source URL field?

If you're talking about clipped web pages, why wouldn't you sort using the Source URL field?

Yes, I do that. If I see 2 consecutive pages with the same title, I would manually delete one.

My email program, The Bat!, can automatically delete duplicate messages on request. So I think it would be nice if EN had this function.

John

If EN could detect pages already existing in the database, it could prompt us to decide whether we want to download the page again, just as in any browser when we are saving the same page again. Why EN does not do that? This feature could be optionally turned On & Off

This would be a way to avoid duplicated pages.

John

• Level 5

If EN could detect pages already existing in the database, it could prompt us to decide whether we want to download the page again, just as in any browser when we are saving the same page again. Why EN does not do that? This feature could be optionally turned On & Off

This would be a way to avoid duplicated pages.

Your new question makes more sense with the control handed back to the user (and no longer automatic).

To answer your original question "Is this function important to you?

• I will have to say no. Half of my notes are web captures and duplicates are extremely rare.

Why does Evernote not do this?
  • Probably because they have higher priorities. Based on the comments in this forum, duplicate notes are not mentioned very often (as a problem). What is mentioned frequently is the need to create duplicate notes (as templates)

• Level 5

By the way, I am not against a 3rd-party duplicate-eliminator software program.

I use one for my thousands of photos. It works great at finding not just exact matches, but even similar photos.

If there is enough customer demand, a company might offer something similar to spot dupes in Evernote.

I use one for my thousands of photos. It works great at finding not just exact matches, but even similar photos.

Glad to meet a photographer here. I use Easy Duplicate Finder which is free. Which one do you use?

John

• Level 5

I use a free program called "Duplicate Cleaner". It does photos, MP3's and documents.

I store a few political photos on Evernote, but most of my personal photos are on Flickr.

Archived