Almost all tags suddenly missing on all platforms

Go to solution Solved by Steve M in San Diego,

Idea

All but 5 tags, of approximately 20, have sudden disappeared on all notes on all platforms. All tags within notes are gone except two of about 3,000.  The two are random, not the last two tagged. Also, I noticed that on all but the few notes, if I go to tag them, the tag icon is grayed out and says "You need permission to edit this note." when I hover over it.  Yet I can edit it no problem.  I just can't add a tag any more.

We mainly use Evernote 10.103.4 desktop on Windows 10, but have clients on Windows 11, and Android mobile. 

Any hints on how to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

6 replies to this idea

• Solution

@PinkElephantThe RENT was a good hint.  Sure enough, they disabled tag sharing in August with the RENT rollout, so this behavior is by design.  Apparently they will sell our tags back to us if we all upgrade AGAIN to Teams accounts.  I have to say that Evernote sure makes it hard to trust them with our data, and easy for the haters to hate!

• Like 1

Thanks for responding!  Yes, same on the web client, Windows desktop, and Android.  The tags (and notes) are all from a shared notebook.  We really don't use the personal notebooks.

I do have a backup of the notebook from before the tags disappeared, but I don't know what I am doing so I didn't want to risk losing recent notes and edits by installing that over the top.

Steve

• Level 5

The handling of tags through sharing seems to have been altered fundamentally.

If this is related with the RENT rollout (metadata syncing) I don’t know, but it is plausible this had an impact. Or it was related with a revamping of the sharing process announced as well.

You don’t need to search the tags, they are not available any more under the new sharing scheme.

You can only issue a support ticket, or send them feedback.