All my internal links go to one note

I've had something very odd happen today. All my internal hyperlinks, from several notes, when I click on them, they all go to one note that I created yesterday or today. I've exited Evernote and turned it back on. I have not rebooted my system. But, for example, I have a note that points to all my insurance cards. Now, every link is going to the same note (an article about real estate I created yesterday or today).

• Like 1

It appears internal links are broken and it is discussed in a couple of other threads.  Hopefully, a fix release is just around the corner.  I agree it is frustrating and disrupts workflows.

For such a crucial feature, I can't  believe it is taking Evernote this long to fix. This is why having legacy was so good, because we didn't have these kinds of problems. It's really hurting my productivity and speed of doing work. And can I look forward to? Another price hike.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, notetakeingguy said:

I just got the update that "Fixes an issue where internal links no longer redirected to the correct note from the sidebar."

However, it's still not working for me.

I asked a week ago in another thread what "Fixes an issue where internal links no longer redirected to the correct note from the sidebar." actually means and I never got an answer. I think it is one specific issue. Meanwhile, as noted above, fixing internal links is still listed in the bug tracker.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, notetakeingguy said:

I just got the update that "Fixes an issue where internal links no longer redirected to the correct note from the sidebar."

However, it's still not working for me.

EN 10.102.7: Internal links are STILL not correctly resolved when clicked on OTHER NOTES. I have A LOT of cross-linked notes. Now clicking an internal link opens random note from the folder of expected target note, NOT the note it was originally linked. It is far worse: repairing such a link by replacing with CORRECT link doesn't solve the problem: new link still points to OTHER note from that folder (usually the oldest one).

Cross-linking between notes is KEY feature in my Evernote workflow, actually the main reason I still use it after a decade.

Note: this issue was supposed to be resolved be revision 10.103.3 - not yet available to download.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Piotas said:

Cross-linking between notes is KEY feature in my Evernote workflow, actually the main reason I still use it after a decade.

This is why I'm so upset it's taken so long to fix, that it even happened, despite all these price increases. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, notetakeingguy said:

This is why I'm so upset it's taken so long to fix, that it even happened, despite all these price increases. 

I just checked EN update tracker: they clearly specified that it was corrected in version 10.103.3 - I am using newest version available and it is 10.102.7 - maybe it WAS resolved, but EN hasn't deployed the fix to my and your region yet?

Update: after MANUALLY downloading newest offline install for EN from EN website, 10.103.3 installed and now links within notes seem to work correctly.

Update 2: not all note links works correctly, some note links points to TOP note in a note folder - depending of your sort option, it can a note on top based on sorted title, date of creation or date of edit. Also, you cannot simply repair note folder, because it DOESN'T solve the issue - link still points to top note in a folder.

Edited by Piotas
update after EN forced download of newest install
  • Like 1

This issue is very disconcerting.  After having left EN for Apple Notes due to pricing dissatisfaction with latest increase I was offered a deep discount going back to my archived information.  Not being fully satisfied with Apple Notes for my needs (although it is quite good for a built in utility; ie it works! just light on features), I took the bait.  I was really missing the "Maps of Content" I had built for my software support documentation, and Windows compatibility.  However now that I'm back I found my links in shambles.  I managed to finally get 10.103.3 installed and things seem to be back on track; but for how long and will the next thing take a year to resolve (surmising from a few posts I came across)?  All total I've lost at least a couple of hours testing, researching, and fortunately finding working version that must have just become available at least to me.  Maybe that wouldn't be so bad if this were freeware or open source, but that's terrible customer support at $130/year retail.  Using the product would be untenable without this volunteer forum, and some great folks on Reddit.

A few other observations in troubleshooting where I used iPhone, web client, Win app.

1. iPhone worked as expected

2. Win app, many links went to wrong note (top note of correct folder per sort order)

a.  The other curious thing is that if you hit back arrow in app it did go to correct link.  It's like it had the correct link in hand but timed/errored out.  It still had the correct link cached so back arrow took you there.

3. Browser link would just go to spinning wheel if not going to correct note.  Suspect this was same root cause for item 2, but app just showed wrong note instead of spinning wheel.

After getting latest Win App installed, browser still had spinning wheel issue until I cleared browsing history.  How is web client tied to installed app?  Did I just happen to straddle a backend update in my testing with web client?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Piotas said:

I just checked EN update tracker: they clearly specified that it was corrected in version 10.103.3 - I am using newest version available and it is 10.102.7 - maybe it WAS resolved, but EN hasn't deployed the fix to my and your region yet?

Update: after MANUALLY downloading newest offline install for EN from EN website, 10.103.3 installed and now links within notes seem to work correctly.

Update 2: not all note links works correctly, some note links points to TOP note in a note folder - depending of your sort option, it can a note on top based on sorted title, date of creation or date of edit. Also, you cannot simply repair note folder, because it DOESN'T solve the issue - link still points to top note in a folder.

Did you doublecheck it really installed 10.103.3 (help/about)?  I had to manually download and install twice before help/about showed 10.103.3.  Since I've confirmed that, I haven't come across a bad link yet in my product library.

11 hours ago, Piotas said:

I've also seen this. It seems that notes towards the top of whatever sort order you have in place work, but others don't. I guess it doesn't help if, like me, you only have a few folders each containing lots of notes (and use tags to organise).

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...