Forced to pay now due to sync devices being removed, and the app is still rubbish

Very nasty surprise today.  They have now removed the automatic 2 device sync option.  You can unsync a second device twice a month but that makes switching between desktop and app as required completely impossible.  So, I have had to sign up for what is becoming a rubbish, frustrating and inadequate app as described by others on other threads

• Level 5*

Hi.  You were using a free service that was meant to be a trial only,  hence the limits placed on its use.  The 2 device changes per month rule .has been in effect for more than a year.  If you find the service unusable,  there are many other,  less expensive options on the market.  I find the desktop and web apps to be extremely fast and effective these days. 

If you share your device, OS and Evernote version numbers and any specific issues you are encountering other forum members - who are mainly subscribers,  not employees - may be able to suggest some fixes...

• Level 5

In fact the 2 unsyncs per month rule was added in 2020 (time flies …), together with the web client being defined as a „device“. Web was not accounted for earlier, but back then it lacked a lot of features of the desktop versions.

Personally I am not aware there is a 1 device rule now for Free - my secondary Free accounts (used for testing and projects) still work with 2 devices each.

• 2 weeks later...

All of a sudden my free plan doesn't allow me to use 2 devices. One being my phone, one web browser on my laptop. It tells me that I reached the maximum, but it's only 2 devices and checking the characteristics of the plan the rule of 2 devices hasn't changed.

If I try to access from my phone it says limit reached, and same if I try to access from the web browser.

I tried to unsync one and re-sync.. I was able to access my notes when only one device was registered, but not when I joined with the second device.

Now I'm left with only 1 unsync for the month, and can't mess it up.

Is it a bug? I will have to migrate now.

Screenshot_20240728-091731.png

• Level 5*
On 7/28/2024 at 9:26 AM, mariebotwin said:

Is it a bug? I will have to migrate now.

No - it's a free trial service.  Subscriptions are also an option...

• Like 1
On 7/29/2024 at 9:54 AM, gazumped said:

No - it's a free trial service.  Subscriptions are also an option...

Thanks for the smirky response. Although it doesn't address my question. The free trial is up to 2 synced devices. It is now allowing me to use only one. Why?

I guess other services are also an option.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Just to be clear - we're mostly other users here,  not Evernote.  I have a free test account and haven't seen any recent warnings about devices,  but I mainly access that from a desktop.  It's a free service though - Evernote can decide it's over-subscribed and reduce or remove access as they please.  I was simply pointing out that you do have another option to moving to another provider.  Your choice.

• Like 2