Audio recordings should allow a pause

For long audio recording sessions there should be a way to pause and resume the recording. It can get cumbersome to create new ones each time and i don't want to have a lot of blank space in them either. For now I'm going to try to use iOS Memos (which support pause) and import them into evernote

• Like 1
  • Level 5

As you already discovered, use a different app that saves to device memory.

EN syncs the audio directly with the server. If server connection is lost, the audio file on mobile is gone, and can’t be recovered. Pausing in this fragile process is probably not the best idea.

On 7/13/2024 at 12:51 AM, PinkElephant said:

As you already discovered, use a different app that saves to device memory.

EN syncs the audio directly with the server. If server connection is lost, the audio file on mobile is gone, and can’t be recovered. Pausing in this fragile process is probably not the best idea.

I'm a software engineer and this is very likely untrue. There is no reason to do it this way, would add a lot of unnecessary complexity and pausing would not make things any more fragile. I just tested this - record audio in EN, turn off the internet on your phone in the middle of the recording and keep recording. Everything will work just fine. Not storing recordings on device would mean you can't record at all when the device is offline, or if the internet is spotty etc.

Actually I have experienced audio recording to Evernote which failed, and then the whole recording was lost. So for long ones I prefer the VoiceNotes app.

With both VoiceNotes and Evernote, there is a bizarre bug that sometimes translates the spoken text into Welsh, this has apparently been happening for a long time.

But I think it is brilliant that voice transcription, usually perfect, has come to Evernote.

• Level 5

@silversurfer69 You may be a software engineer, but you should know to do your research before calling posts from others „untrue“. From the EN help database:

IMG_3052.thumb.jpeg.f618e165e8e3c0445ae49e7897658ad7.jpeg

This happens not only when the note size limit is exceeded, but can happen with syncing fails as well. And it means the content is lost.

Further down we read

IMG_3053.thumb.jpeg.72eb9ccd95f3f61d84c45104688c8f7e.jpeg

So why not take the advise EN themselves are giving, use a different app, then import the audio file and have it transcribed ?

Beside this I use audio most often on my Apple Watch. Audio is working fine, typing is not really an option. I use JustPressRecord, which has its own transcription. I think I will stick to it, since it creates m4a files that EN won’t transcribe.

This is what you said:

> EN syncs the audio directly with the server. If server connection is lost, the audio file on mobile is gone, and can’t be recovered.

I'm just saying this is not true and the help article you mentioned does not say this either. First of all, any audio file below the note size limit will be completely fine with or without server connection. It remains on local device and is synced to servers next time EN is synced just like any other note. Even if the note is too big to sync to EN servers, it remains on your local device with the audio file. In no case is the "audio file on mobile is gone" - unless there was a bug. This also means that implementing pause is not overly complex or impossible because EN  stores the recording on device memory/disk like any other application. I just want to put this out for anyone else who might see this and get the wrong impression.

I do understand they may have different priorities - this is just a feature request to the team and a way to gauge if others might be interested in the feature.

• Level 5

Good luck to you - I have no issue when you find out the hard way. Just don't tell you were not warned.

It's amazing how people are ALWAYS convinced that the feature THEY think would be nice to have requires LITTLE TO NONE EFFORT to implement, tool out and maintain. I call this wishful thinking, because in most cases, nobody outside of the devs team can possibly know.

The missing element is you don't need to convince anybody here, because it won't help. To convince EN, this is the door you need to take:

feedback@evernote.com