Evernote for Windows only starting when online?

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

Windows 10.94.3-win-ddl-public. On opening this morning I was welcomed by the message that when I relaunched the app, the app will only open if I am online. Is this true? I would like to know because if that is so I really need to accellerate my transition away from evernote. Thank you for any information anyone might have.

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  Like many (most?) other apps,  if you sign out of Evernote you need to be online to log in.  If you use 'Quit' rather than signing out,  you'll be able to continue to use the app - but beware that the parent copy of your notes is kept on Evernote's servers and changes are synced back and forth frequently.  Offline use is meant to be an exception,  not the rule.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

To take this a little further: Your login is stored and will even survive a restart of the computer.

But if you signed out of your account, the local data gets locked by the app until you authenticate again. Authentication requires a server connection.

If you want to use the app offline, don’t log out the last time you are online before.

To protect your data, you should protect your account on the computer by setting a password, and enable the biometrics like Windows Hello or TouchID.