new code block feature is buggy

Hi,

The new code block feature is giving me lots of issues:

- editing code in the code block would change formatting

- the code itself is not display properly, printing outside of the code block.

- not really a bug, but it doesn't support R.

Please give me plain text back (I know it's supposed to be an option but it's not very well implemented). And also there should be an option to set this to default as the auto recognition is not very good yet.

B.

Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 1.49.14 AM.png

• Level 5*

Hi.  We're mainly other users here. For a more timely notification please raise this with Support https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new (be very patient for a response) or send it to feedback@evernote.com.     

In both cases you'll get a 'thanks' response but they won't keep you in the loop - when and if the feature changes it will come ias part of a future update.

I use VHDL extensively. In the previous version of plain code blocks, I could easily store chunks of my code. Now it is impossible, since VHDL is not supported, and it is impossible to turn off autoformatting for code blocks. Please give me the old code blocks back!

p.s. this is actually a decrease in functionality for those of us not using one of the supported languages, since simply copying plain text from an Evernote note into a dedicated code editor like VS Code or Notepad ++, will automatically format it to just about any known language. 

• Level 5*

We're mainly other users here. For a more timely notification please send a request to feedback@evernote.com (you get a 'thankyou' response but nothing further) or raise this with Support - https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new - (be very patient for a response here) 

In general: it's far better to send feature requests and minor bug reports via feedback.  With millions of users,  Evernote can't keep individuals in the loop for bug fixes or possible future developments - if and when your issue is resolved it will come as part of a future update. Support is meant for major issues like access and subscriptions.

20 hours ago, Big Grey said:

Please give me the old code blocks back!

I don't think we need the old code block back, we just need the ability to set a default - eg choose between "auto" and one of the listed languages/plain text.  I also use an unsupported language (R) but by trial and error I have found that formatting it as php looks reasonable. However if I paste code it it will come up with a random guess, so I have to change it to php each time. For me personally this is annoying but not a deal breaker.

I suspect that the code block is some bought in module rather than being written by EN developers themselves. Therefore they may not actually have much control.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2024 at 8:04 AM, Jon/t said:

You can set the code block to Plain Text after pasting. Top left hand corner has a drop down menu.

I am aware of that, but the look and feel is not the same as before. I was able to copy large chunk of code and store them easily. Now for whatever reasons (font, spacing, size, how it handles text...etc), it's not possible and worst of all, changed my old notes along with it.