Dear Evernote, why do you waste my scarce screen space? - this thread is for complaining hoping that EN improves

I created this thread so we can all complain about Evernote wasting scarce screen space instead of offering utility and efficient design. While generally I don't like complaining, here it could help us that they understand and stop this bad tendency. 

The list price of my Samsung fold 5 phone was almost 2,000 € when it came out. it has a super cool 7" screen in between of a phone and a tablet. Guess what, I bought it because I actually do need that screen space. Evernote sees it as a tablet and decided to waste my screen space by the new navigation for tablets that came out today (it is actually not really new but an old disaster that was reintroduced now again to make us unhappy, probably). Admitted, it is probably okay on real tablets, big ones.

Screenshot_20240509_234819_Google Play Store.jpg

Screenshot_20240509_235524_Evernote.jpg

Foldables are fairly new and not all apps fully support those layouts yet. Most people don't have them and I personally would rather Evernote focus on fixing bugs rather than supporting niche, very expensive devices. What is likely happening is a media query for all screen sizes over 7 inches will display the tablet layout as foldables aren't supported.

• Like 1

Hey @mackid1993 fixing the above problem would be as simple as increasing the limit of distinction between tablet and phone by 1 inch or so. changing this means as little as changing a single digit in the entire Evernote code. 

2 minutes ago, Lolinda said:

Hey @mackid1993 fixing the above problem would be as simple as increasing the limit of distinction between tablet and phone by 1 inch or so. changing this means as little as changing a single digit in the entire Evernote code. 

It's not as simple as you think it is... software development doesn't work that way. It's a complex change, not a single digit. They would have to likely at a minimum write and implement a media query or whatever the equivalent is for react native and then write various classes to collapse all of the various UI elements so they look correct on that screen size and don't break. You are vastly oversimplifying things.

I work in web development personally and I can tell you that this is a fairly complex issue, they would need to officially support foldables which they evidentially don't.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Lolinda said:

I created this thread so we can all complain about Evernote wasting scarce screen space instead of offering utility and efficient design. While generally I don't like complaining, here it could help us that they understand and stop this bad tendency. 

I highly doubt that Evernote will make a change based on a complaint thread in the forum.  A better use of everyone’s time is to submit a support ticket if you have an actual problem. Gripes can be sent to feedback@evernote.com 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

I highly doubt that Evernote will make a change based on a complaint thread in the forum.  A better use of everyone’s time is to submit a support ticket if you have an actual problem. Gripes can be sent to feedback@evernote.com 

Let alone implement a new layout for a niche category of devices that very few people have.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 minute ago, mackid1993 said:

Let alone implement a new layout for a niche category of devices that very few people have.

The new layout isn’t even correct on my older iPhone.  It’s usable but one of the buttons is partially cut off.  I don’t see them working on foldables in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, s2sailor said:

The new layout isn’t even correct on my older iPhone.  It’s usable but one of the buttons is partially cut off.  I don’t see them working on foldables in the foreseeable future.

They just completely borked the desktop clients this week when they overhauled tasks and added tasks into calendar. I'm hoping that 10.88 is a major stabilization release, I had to downgrade to 10.66.8 to just barely have a stable working environment. Let's let them fix the mess they made rushing these new features out and then support a new category of devices.

I honestly hope one of these days Bending Spoons will get a little more experienced and learn that they should only release features when they are ready not quickly.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, s2sailor said:

The cut off audio button is known and, in a sense, intended. There's is, apparently, an intention to make the buttons scroll with other content available. So the design is taking account of that. It looks clumsy but it's with intent rather than being a bug.

There are other bugs ;)

EDIT v10.87 arrived for me just after initially posting. The buttons have gained an entry so the scrolling is now needed...

Edited by agsteele
Additional info
  • Like 1