Evernote Teams - Have a "by default" Space

I run several businesses and usually have 1 space per business.

My main use of "spaces" is that the employees of company X have access to the notebooks in company X. The employees of company Y have access to the notebooks in company Y.

I use Zapier/Make.com type automations with our existing CRM.

For example, we have a new file that enters the CRM, the automation creates a new notebook in Evernote.

The problem we encounter is that the new notebook is always created in my personal account and is not accessible to the employees of company X.

After checking with several automation and API experts, it seems that there is no API command to create a default notebook in a specific SPACE. Nor is there an API command to move an existing notebook to a specific SPACE.

Today, I have to manually move each notebook created in this way from my personal notebook to the space in question. Which isn't very practical and makes all the existing automation meaningless.

Does anyone have a solution or have experienced a similar situation?

• Level 5
5 hours ago, AlexLex said:

For example, we have a new file that enters the CRM, the automation creates a new notebook in Evernote.

The problem we encounter is that the new notebook is always created in my personal account and is not accessible to the employees of company X.

It should not happen that anything directed at the Teams account is created in your Personal account instead. The Personal account that comes with any Teams account is for personal use, and strictly separate from the Teams account. It has different access credentials.

So first thing is to check which account was given access to the 3rd party app that creates the notes.

5 hours ago, AlexLex said:

After checking with several automation and API experts, it seems that there is no API command to create a default notebook in a specific SPACE. Nor is there an API command to move an existing notebook to a specific SPACE.

Today, I have to manually move each notebook created in this way from my personal notebook to the space in question. Which isn't very practical and makes all the existing automation meaningless.

A Space is a view on notebooks - it allows to access several notebooks. The relation of Notebooks to Spaces is build by the admin - the API and external apps have no access to it.

Furthermore I get the idea that things are mixed up here. Do you really create a new NoteBOOK when a new File enters your CRM ? I could understand there is a NOTE created, but not a NoteBOOK. And if it is a NoteBOOK, sending it to a specific Space plus making it a default would take several steps. I doubt this will be supported.

Even if your description leaves open questions, I would approach the workflow differently:

Create a series of Import Folders, each one related to a notebook in the place where you want to send the new content. Build the automation in a way that when a File is created, it is send to the specific Import Folder that is linked to the Notebook / Space where you want it to go. The Import Folder then moves it to the connected notebook - which should be defined as a sort of Inbox for the appropriate Space, with users knowing that when a new note shows up in the notebook, it should be taken to the process. You choose the Space by selecting the right Import Folder through the rules the automation is following.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2024 at 1:56 AM, PinkElephant said:

The Personal account that comes with any Teams account is for personal use, and strictly separate from the Teams account. It has different access credentials.

By personal account I meant my business account, an account that is not shared with other users.

Furthermore I get the idea that things are mixed up here. Do you really create a new NoteBOOK when a new File enters your CRM ?

By “file” I meant creation of a “matter” in the CRM. When we create it there is no data file involved. We just need to create an empty notebook in the space that can be filled with files (mostly PDFs) linked to the matter.

Even if your description leaves open questions, I would approach the workflow differently:

Create a series of Import Folders, each one related to a notebook in the place where you want to send the new content. Build the automation in a way that when a File is created, it is send to the specific Import Folder that is linked to the Notebook / Space where you want it to go.

Thank you for this suggestion. This would require the scanner to scan to at least 5 different locations (for example for 5 spaces) which is not very convenient. This would also require documents to be pre-sorted before being scanned, which is not very practical and breaks the workflow.

All we want is to:

- have a shared inbox by default in a specific space

- being able to create notebooks in a specific space with Zapier / Make.com

any other ideas?

On 5/6/2024 at 7:57 PM, AlexLex said:

Are these "employees of company X" separate EN-Teams users? If so, it might be a possibility to create API credentials for these EN-Teams users. Every EN-Teams user has its own inbox - so automations that use its credentials should use this inbox within its space.

But as long as there is no possibility to assign newly created books to a specific space in current API, you'll have no chance to achieve what you want (create new notebooks in a specific space). Other user's credentials will create notebook only outside spaces 😞

On 5/6/2024 at 7:57 PM, AlexLex said:

Yep - the only way to get it, might be a feature request to EN - but don't expect to be heard in short or middle time 😤

1 hour ago, AlexLex said:

All we want is to:
1) have a shared inbox by default in a specific space
2) being able to create notebooks in a specific space with Zapier / Make.com

1) is possible with @PinkElephant's suggestions - but you've seen already its disadvantaged.
2) is not possible so far.