App updates are re-setting defaults

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

• Level 5

This seems to happen especially often in the Web client, but it can happen in the Windows desktop app, and maybe the Android mobile app (see the thread linked below). The Web client automatically updated to the latest v. 10.86.2 recently. And it re-set 3 (THREE!) of my default settings:

1. It turned on Strikethrough completed checklist items, which I always keep turned off.
  2. It changed Note width from Fit to window to Optimize 😅 readability.
  3. It changed Slash commands from Hide inline hint to Show inline hint.

I've had the first one re-set to what Evernote thinks everyone should want repeatedly ever since they introduced the feature. #2 does not usually get re-set to Evernote's preference, though I don't think this is the first time; and #3 is too new to have data on.

Is anyone else experiencing this kind of re-setting of defaults with app updates? I just don't understand why an update should touch the user's preferences. I noticed in the Android app forum a thread saying that offline settings get changed with every update:

It happens in the iOS mobile app, where the "offline notes/notebooks" setting keeps reverting to "off" when an update arrives. You don't always know the app has updated so you think your offline notes are there, but surprise! they aren't. Everything you previously downloaded for offline use has been removed from your device. Let's hope you notice it before you arrive somewhere that doesn't have a good cell signal.

I think it started happening sometime last summer, though it may not occur with every update or on every device because it seems very random. I lost hope that it will ever be resolved and moved all notes that I might need to access on my phone to a different platform.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

... And now I have to say, NM, my bad. WRT the Web client anyway. Seems I had cleared cookies to get Evernote Web to finish loading (another problem). And guess what, settings are stored in a cookie, so clearing resets them to default. 🤤 Sorry. The Web client was behaving as it should. But the losing of offline notebooks in the mobile apps is something different, obviously.