Evernote 10.8.4 on Mac: Editing older notes causes duplicated images and text

Hi all - I recently moved from Evernote 6 to Evernote 10 due to the forced upgrade in March. It looked like my notes were synced to the new Evernote. However, when I go to edit older notes, the notes suddenly start duplicating text and images.

For example:

[image]
text item 1
text item 2
test item 3

As soon as I edit the note in any way, the note immediately gets garbled into something like:

[image]
[image]
text item 1text item1
text item 2text item2
text item 3text item3

(sometimes there's a variant, where all the duplicated images/text appear below the orginal - which is easier to fix up again)

This has been happening for EVERY SINGLE ONE of my old notes, as soon as I edit.

If I export the note from my Evernote 6 and import, it's usually ok. However, I have over 5000 notes. This situation is unacceptable.

Thoughts? Who can diagnose... where do I open a support ticket?

Thank you,
A frustrated user who has loved Evernote for over a decade--UNTIL NOW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  You were using an obsolete application which saved its notes in a different format.  That format is updated as and when notes are opened,  though you are the first (I think) to report this duplication issue.  Do you have any similar problems with new notes?  NB if you still have v6 installed this will compound the problem because it will still sync your notes in the old format,  even when dealing with new notes.

I'd suggest an easy (possible) fix would be to rebuild your current database - sign out of Evernote and choose not to keep a copy of your notes on the local system.  Then sign back in and allow the database to rebuild itself.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks, gazumped, for your thoughts on this. I thought you were onto something, as I still have one machine with both Evernote 6 and Evernote 10 installed. However, I've since created a totally new install of Evernote 10 on a newer laptop which has never had any version of Evernote on it (that is, all the notes have been synched from the server, and the local database should be in whatever format Evernote now prefers for V10). That clean install is having the same issue -- open a note with one or more images in it, click to type even one character, and bingo - images and text get duplicated or triplicated. 

Since then, I've been having unrelated problems with images. I have several notes with lots and lots of images and text interspersed; I've been adding to these notes for 10+ years. I did some cleanup and editing after the switch to V10.  One note had all the images I expected... Came back today, and now a few dozen images in the note have the "spinning circle."  Checked on both installs and online: spinning circles in that note, no matter where I look at the note. This is really frustrating and more than a little worrisome.

• Thanks 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Same issue here on Windows 11.  Edit an old note and content duplicates.   I also have thousands of notes so this is very annoying behavior.  It does not seem to happen on new notes, only old ones.  Also verified it does not happen in the web interface.  Make an edit on the web, and then subsequent edits in Windows does not duplicate info.  I would rather not go though 5000+ notes though to fix this.  

• Level 5

Can't confirm this - old notes behave just the same as recent ones.

Even the lag on opening that we had initially when the switch to RTE just had happened is eliminated. Old note open just as quick as recent ones.

Anything more you can tell ? Maybe post a screen recording.