Sudden loss of notes / unable to login

I've been using Evernote 5.5 for years and it suddenly dropped my last few months of notes and I apparently can't login anymore. I suspect it's due to me using an older version that's maybe not compatible with your system anymore. I understand trying to "nudge" people towards upgrading, but losing several months of important notes is rough. Is there any way to get them back?

• Level 5*

Hi.  You were using a version of Evernote that was considerably out of date - so much so that (after a year or two of warning messages) the company cut off access to the remaining few users of that whole family of products at the end of March.  As long as you were logged in at some point,  your notes to that stage should have synced with the server,  where they will still be available if you sign in at Evernote.com.  Sadly anything created after then may have been lost.  You should also be able to download and install the new v10 if you wish.

If your old installation of 5.5 still exists on your desktop you may have a large database file (EXB or similar) which could contain unsynced notes.  If you can give us more details of the file type we may be able to suggest some options which could give you access to the content - forinstance via a SQLite application - if there's important data you absolutely need to recover.

Thank you for your response. FYI, I never received any notification (that I know of) about deprication of the older versions. Anyway, if there's a way to get the info back it would be great. Where would I find the database file on a Mac?

• Level 5

Go to EN settings, first tab, scroll down all the way:

image.png.30dc9a525548a04f884ad623900d3ff9.png

That's on the new version.

Mac 5.5. is loooooong outdated - the last legacy version was 7.14. The database probably won't do you any good.

If you still have a working login on your client, you can try to take the Mac offline, and open EN. If it opens, export all your notes to ENEX files. Do this notebook by notebook ! You can then import them into the new client after you installed it. You need at least MacOS 10.14 to do so.

Your Free account will not do for this operation - the upload is limited to 60MB per month, which will not allow any significant import operation. You will have to subscribe to get enough upload volume.

On 4/16/2024 at 3:15 PM, cyclical said:

I suspect it's due to me using an older version that's maybe not compatible with your system anymore.

It should have synced until the cut-off of pre-V10 versions on March 28th or so. Try the browser version of Evernote.com, it will show you what has synced to the server.

If you are missing notes there, follow PE's advice (and DO NOT LOG OUT OF YOUR LOCAL CLIENT!). Good luck.