Copy EN text, paste in MS Word - Word formatting (H1,H2,H3, bullet points, text color) does not match

Hi all,

When I copy text from EN that includes

• H1, H2, H3
  • bullet points with multiple levels (this sometimes works but not perfectly)
  • normal text
  • color coding

into an MS Word document, it does not match at all.

So I have to manually define in Word the Hx, bullet points (sometimes), and colors.

Even more: So I adjusted the Word document with different starting points of each bullet point level (level 1 1cm, level 2 1.5cm, level 3 2cm etc.) and saved this document as a kind of template. Once I open this document to paste an EN text into it, it destroys the bullet point level adjustment back to default where (for me personally) the bullet points of level 2 and above are too much on the right side of the document (I like it more when they are closer together on the left side).

Any suggestion to get a correct:

• H1, H2, H3 formatting match,
  • color match
  • and where bullet points stay at the pre-defined depth on each level?
  • Level 5

The formatting is done through HTML commands, that are invisible part of the text when you copy it. Since all apps use their own „flavor“ of HTML it may well be that when you copy a complex formatting between apps, the receiving app interprets the code differently.

Against believes MS Word is no „Industry Standard“ - MS is known to do things their own way, which then only works between MS apps (and sometimes not even there).

In general I wouldn’t expect full compatibility.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

If you're creating text that might need to be copied into a Word document,  why not create it from scratch in a Word document and attach that to a note?  You could copy/ paste the content or print to PDF if you need to see it inline...

15 hours ago, EN-flow said:

Any suggestion to get a correct:

• H1, H2, H3 formatting match,
  • color match
  • and where bullet points stay at the pre-defined depth on each level?

I assume you are modifying the standard EN styles. Are you saving those styles within EN using update style? When I paste into word the font is lost but colours and bullet points seem to OK(ish). 

In EN:

image.png.9894c42a9ede27ca3c06d65d6bccd4bf.png

In word:

image.png.a637e68e082bcd7d72fcc53114db1fcb.png

• Level 5

Fonts will depend on the app used, the fonts installed and the standard text format. EN brings along its own fonts. The checkbox option doesn't exist in other apps, it is converted to bullets. Apart from this the list is kept, including idents: EN, LibreOffice, Pages:

image.png.0aa28f4c63a9a9fc09ecc2c19ec04821.png image.png.be2dcbda9f6ee53eb66a6298c1c65650.png image.png.b8f453d3f873b25225f884e32ad55e36.png