Guidance on Configuring EN for Web Links to Open in Browser, Rather than Spawned EN Screen

david_woznyorg
Go to solution Solved by ForestD,

Idea

Hello,
I'd like to learn if there was a way to set a default behaviour in EN, on Android or iOS, such that clicking on a URL in a note results in a web browser (preferably the default) opening, rather than it being opened in an EN sub-window. I'm finding that if I'm viewing the web page in the EN window and want to annotate an EN note, I have to mess around with exporting to a browser, before returning to EN for the edit.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, David

5 replies to this idea

• Solution

@david_woznyorg By "mess around with exporting to a browser" did you mean tapping this button in the top right-hand corner?

image.png.c5af3225a10676cd12184f1e124b944f.png

Just wanted to make sure that you knew tapping that button would open that URL in Safari (your preferred default). It is, unfortunately, still a two step process (tap that button, then tap 'Done'), but it's less steps than clicking the 'Share' button.

• Level 5

Don't know about iOS, but Evernote for Android (at least for phones, may be different on larger devices) does not run in a browser. There are 2 Evernote link formats: https://www.evernote.com/shard/... (Web link, for browsers) and evernote:///view/... (for the Evernote app). For me both of those open only in the Evernote app on my Android phone. OTOH, an ordinary Web URL (non-Evernote) in an Evernote note always opens in my default browser. So I'm having trouble understanding how things are working for you.

I apologise for giving misinformation Dave. URLs do open in my default browser on my Android phone - doh!

It's on my iPad where I experience the behavious I mention.

1. In 1.jpg I demonstrate a URL in an EN note
  2. In 2.jpg The web page is opened in a 'sub-window'
  3. In 3.jpg I'm switching between open applications, and can see that the web browsing is 'within' the Evernote app

The behaviour I am hoping for is the web page to be opened in the default browser on my iPad (DuckDuckGo), such that I can then switch into EN for whatever note taking I might want to do.

I do recognise that this may be an 'iOS thing' rather than an 'EN thing'. If so, I apologise in advance. 😌

Cheers, David

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Level 5

This is the expected behavior in iOS, called an in-app browser window. It is common for many apps.

To open the site in an external browser, you need to copy the URL and paste it into the address field of your browser of preference.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Boot17 said:

@david_woznyorg By "mess around with exporting to a browser" did you mean tapping this button in the top right-hand corner?

image.png.c5af3225a10676cd12184f1e124b944f.png

Just wanted to make sure that you knew tapping that button would open that URL in Safari (your preferred default). It is, unfortunately, still a two step process (tap that button, then tap 'Done'), but it's less steps than clicking the 'Share' button.

That's fantastic advice, I'd never thought to tap that button. I'm entirely happy with this approach. Many thanks

• Like 1