Data Corruption: Sections of text are being randomly repeated.

ljbrown

Idea

Version: 10.82.2-mac-mas-public (20240327123857), Editor: v177.12.1, Service: v1.98.1

I completed a note recently and when I came back to it I observed a portion of the note had been repeated 3 to 5 times in several locations across the note.

I also observed a similar issue with notes that were upgraded when I upgraded to this version of Evernote from a previous version.

Am a bit hesitant to continue using Evernote at this point, so would appreciate some guidance.

Here is a specific line as an example: (The original note only had this: "BILATERAL AND MULTILATERAL ORGANIZATIONS")

------------------

BILATERAL AND MULTILATERAL ORGANIZATIONSBILATERAL AND MULTILATERAL ORGANIZATIONSBILATERAL AND MULTILATERAL ORGANIZATIONS

These international organizations, such as the United Nations (UN) or the World Bank, provide grants and funding to support global development and humanitarian efforts.

------------------

4 replies to this idea

The corruption could have come when you opened the Legacy note in V10 for the first time - the file formats for the two versions are different and Evernote updates the format the first time you open a Legacy note.  Or the corruption could be unrelated to that and was pre-existing or occured after you transitioned to 10,  In any event, you'll likely need to delete the app and reinstall to get rid of the corrupted local data.  Use Appcleaner to do a complete uninstall; the normal uninstall will not get everything.  Download a new version from Evernote.com so you're assured of getting the latest version.  Avoid using the Apple Store for the download since the store version lacks some capabilities.  I'm not a Mac user, though, and there are a number of folks here who are and who have a lot of expertise.  They may weigh in with an alternate suggestion.

There are lots of threads in the Mac section that go into great detail about this.  You might want to browse around there.

Vinnie

@VincentC, thank you for your guidance.  So, you're suggesting that the behavior of randomly replicating data will continue to occur without intervention?  The instance I cited above with the text was days after the upgrade with a brand new note.

Try logging onto the web version of Evernote and seeing what the notes are like. Not had this happen myself.

And as @VincentC said do a full uninstall/reinstall on your Mac. Download it from the Evernote website instead of app-store as there are a few restrictions on the app-store version due to Apple.

Sorry for disappearing.... I've been traveling.  As @Jon/t said, look at the web version.  That way you're looking as directly as you can into Evernote's servers.  Whatever is there is what will sync down to your local devices. 

Corrupted data files on a local client, like the Mac app, occur, and can generate all kinds of symptoms.  That's why folks who are more expert than I am (like Jon!) recommend doing a full uninstall and reinstall.  And use Appcleaner to do it.  That way all of the local data from Evernote is gone; you get a fresh installation of the master program, and you get a fresh copy of your data mirrored down to your local device.

You could have some weird thing going on that this won' resolve which would require you to contact support.  But one of the first things support will ask you to do is this complete uninstallation, so you don't lose anything by trying this yourself.

Good luck,

Vinnie