Notes on iPad

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

My notes on not loading at all. Tried reinstalling and updating but still not working. iPad air 2 (iOS 13), evernote client 10.83. Anything that can be done?

• Level 5
  • Solution

Just pulled out my venerable iPad Air 2 to give EN a try there. It pulled the update to EN 10.83. on opening it took a while telling me it needs to bring the database structure up to date.

At the moment it is syncing. In general it is quite slow now, no comparison to running EN on my iPad Air 5 (with M1 processor).

One observation: The Air 2 should be able to run iOS 15.7. For security reasons it should not be kept with iOS 13. From my experience taking it to 15.7 will not make it slower.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

Update: When I updated the app to 10.83, there was a message the database needs to update. This it did, for several minutes. It showed the notes, but it didn‘t catch up on syncing. Forced a sync - which didn‘t stop for several minutes, and then the lockscreen kicked in. Then iOS will cut background activity, to preserve battery.

So I did what I do when I wanted an offline download: Put the iPad on charger, turned autolockscreen off in iOS settings, made EN the active app and forced syncing through EN settings. I had it run through the night, don‘t exactly how long it took.

But it is now all synced up, syncing changes in real time (RTE working), note syncing taking a little longer (a minute or so).

The iPad Air 2 (released 2014) is no race horse, having only about 1/10th of the transistor count of a modern iPad Air on it‘s CPU. But for simple retrieval or plain note taking, it should still do. A good „Kitchen iPad“ for looking up recipes, for example.

• Like 1
On 4/8/2024 at 2:24 AM, PinkElephant said:

So I did what I do when I wanted an offline download: Put the iPad on charger, turned autolockscreen off in iOS settings, made EN the active app and forced syncing through EN settings. I had it run through the night, don‘t exactly how long it took.

Don't you think it's ridiculous that this is necessary? They really should do a better job of educating the user in-app and utilizing background tasks to not require such workarounds.

• Level 5

This is an iOS issue. Once the lockscreen kicks in, background tasks are cut after a minute or so.

Since the changed database structure takes time to reorganize, keeping the iPad alive was the logical approach. It worked.

If I like it or not was not the question. On more recent hardware it was not necessary. Remember that both the OP and myself used a 10 year old iPad Air 2 - the oldest iOS hardware still certified to run EN v10.

Aha! It seems we were on different wavelengths for a bit. You see, Evernote on that 10-year-old iPad Air 2 (bless its little circuits!) behaves differently than on newer devices. On older hardware, background tasks get put on hold pretty quickly once the screen goes dark.

In your case, the Evernote database needed some reorganizing, which took some time. Since background tasks were getting paused, keeping the iPad awake was the only way to let Evernote finish the job. It might not be the most elegant solution, but it did the trick!

On newer devices, things work a bit smoother, so that workaround wouldn't be necessary.