Upgrade to v10 fails - Missing notes and notes with only half of the content

Verpoest

Idea

Last week we were forced to upgrade from the legacy version to the 'new' version of Evernote. That was already bad news.

The upgrade itself went smooth, however under the engine things went wrong :

• After the upgrade we're missing now multiple notes,
  • Some of the notes contain only half of their original content, the other part of the content disappeared.

I've been browsing the forum for a solution, but after 1,5 hour searching i got fed-up, hence my post here Is there any way to restore the missing notes and content ?

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5

This is definitely not the expected experience. It could be a result of the new database needing some time to fully download, but you should see your complete list of notes very quickly, and clicking any note should download and open it completely. (I can imagine -- only my imagination -- that the impact of all the Legacy users who waited till the end to upgrade having all their databases downloaded at once could at least slow things down.) If it's still this way in a couple of hours, the next bet might be to uninstall (people recommend Revo Uninstaller as doing a really complete job) and then reinstall. If you need to submit a support request, it's here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

14 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

This is definitely not the expected experience. It could be a result of the new database needing some time to fully download, but you should see your complete list of notes very quickly, and clicking any note should download and open it completely. (I can imagine -- only my imagination -- that the impact of all the Legacy users who waited till the end to upgrade having all their databases downloaded at once could at least slow things down.) If it's still this way in a couple of hours, the next bet might be to uninstall (people recommend Revo Uninstaller as doing a really complete job) and then reinstall. If you need to submit a support request, it's here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/requests/new.

Thanks for your kind answer.

Uninstalling and re-installing unfortunately didn't helped, looks like the Evernote database got corrupted at some point during the 'upgrade' from legacy to version 10.

Not all my notes have the issue, but the ones having the issue are 'trimmed' after approx 35 lines (850 characters in average), all the rest of the note content is gone (also online), and other notes disappeared (not even showing in the deleted items).

• Level 5

Was the legacy database synced to the server before ?

Because all v10 does is accessing the very same database on the cloud server. You can check using the web client - it will view the notes as they are on the server, not in a local copy like with the installed client.

About the local client: Either the initial download ist still ongoing, or the database got corrupted somehow in the process. But let’s put this aside at the moment - first check how the content looks when using the web client.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Was the legacy database synced to the server before ?

Because all v10 does is accessing the very same database on the cloud server. You can check using the web client - it will view the notes as they are on the server, not in a local copy like with the installed client.

About the local client: Either the initial download ist still ongoing, or the database got corrupted somehow in the process. But let’s put this aside at the moment - first check how the content looks when using the web client.

Thanks for your support.

Legacy database was synced before, yes. Checked also in the web client, but there the same issue appeared. Also, the initial download should have ended by now, we're quite some days later, laptop was restarted also several times, issue appeared also onto other devices.

In the meantime I found out that my tablet (luckily not used the last days) did not synced with Evernote yet, so I turned off all connections and the missing notes and content was still showing on the tablet. Then I duplicated those notes/content and was able to recover the missing notes and data 😉 (at least the ones I'm aware off).

FYI One of the notes with content that partially disappeared, showed 'no date' (see att), which is also awkward imo.

Anyway, due to not syncing, i have my notes and content now back. 

Thanks to you both for your kind support ! 👍🏻

Evernote - No Date 2.jpg

Evernote - No Date 1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If notes are not complete on the server either, it looks like sync from legacy was not complete. Good you could sort it out.

The missing reminder date is not necessarily a mistake. It is possible to set a reminder without a date.

In fact it is a nice solution for another topic: Notes holding a reminder without a date will be pinned to the top of their notebook.

• Like 1