Serious Problem with Shortcuts

I don't know if anyone else has come across this, but there is a serious problem with Shortcuts in the current Desktop version of Evernote. I don't remember this in the older versions. It's caught me out twice so far, and only on the second time did I find a solution.

The problem is that when you press the X button which appears when you hover your mouse over a Shortcut tab, it does not do what one would expect it to do - which is to remove the note from Shortcuts. Neither does it move the note to Trash, which is reversible. What it actually does (without any warning) is to remove the note from Storage altogether. This means that the note is completely lost to you.

This is completely unacceptable in my opinion, but I did find a solution which only works a) if you are very quick off the mark and b) if you have the Evernote App on your phone (mine is a Samsung). 

1. Shut your desktop down by turning the power off.

2. Go to your phone where if you're lucky you will find the note is still there.

3. Make a duplicate of the note on the phone. (it's one of the items on the Note Menu)

4. Restart your desktop and the phone should sync the duplicate note back onto your desktop.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Not sure what's happening here - didn't want to use an existing note just in case,  so I set up a new test note and added it to shortcuts.  Clicked the 'x' and got a blue pop-up which said "shortcut removed" or words to that effect.  The note sat quietly in my all notes display at all times.

So:  Back to my usual questions:  Device? OS? Evernote version?

The mystery deepens. 

I've done your experiment myself and got exactly the same result as you did. I am though quite certain of the accuracy of my report. So either there was some additional factor which I didn't take into account, or it's an intermittent fault. Nevertheless it's happened to me twice now (at an interval of a couple of months) so I don't think I'm imagining things. 

I don't change my shortcuts very often. Once a month I delete one tab and add another, plus other occasional changes.

In answer to your "usual questions":

HP Desktop running Windows 11

Evernote 10

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

Sometimes data issues are resolved by rebuilding the local data.

Rather than the mad panic you have to endure by dashing to your phone and making a copy before it's too late, I'd create a duplicate before deleting the shortcut. The worst you then have is two copies - one of which can be deleted if the shortcut deletion goes as it should.

That would indeed be an answer to the problem, but the problem is remembering to do it! I'll do my best but I dislike in principle having to do work arounds for bugs which shouldn't exist in the first place. It is btw only the "x" which comes up when hovering which is a problem. The "Remove from Shortcuts" menu item has always worked fine.

I've never had a problem like this with earlier versions of Evernote, and I've been using it since it was called Tornado Notes..

• Evernote Expert

I quite agree. I just took the risk and deleted a shortcut to a note via the 'X'.Tried again with a pre-v10 note. I was relieved that the notes did not disappear.