Help/Check for Updates Says Up to Date (10.80.3) But 10.82.2 is Current Version

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

I'm running on Win 10.

I've been waiting patiently for the update to get the setting to turn off that irritating "Press "/" to insert an element".

It looks like 10.81.4 came out on 03/21/24, but Help/Check for Updates shows me to be Up to Date with V10.80.3, which is now 6 versions behind the current V10.82.2.

Why is Check for Updates not offering me the current version?

Evernote-Up-to-Date-10.80.3-Screenshot 2024-03-27 085519.JPG

Evernote-10.82.2-Latest-Version-Screenshot 2024-03-27 085702.JPG

• Level 5*
  • Solution
18 hours ago, Ace19 said:

Why is Check for Updates not offering me the current version?

Because there are millions of users (still) and a simultaneous download - even over 24 hours - would crash the site.  Updates are released to groups of users over weeks.  Anyone can go to Evernote.com and individually download the latest version if they wish.

• Like 1

I don't think it makes any sense to have a "check updates" button/function that doesn't work, but mostly just gives a false impression that your software is up-to-date.

• Like 3
11 hours ago, gazumped said:

Because there are millions of users (still) and a simultaneous download - even over 24 hours - would crash the site.  Updates are released to groups of users over weeks.  Anyone can go to Evernote.com and individually download the latest version if they wish.

It's a very minor issue in the grand scheme of things but best practice is to allow the small number of users who know/care to individually opt in to the latest updates by checking for updates.

This also allows support reps dealing with customers to more easily ask them to update to solve a bug they may be experiencing. The remaining 99+% of users can slowly get the rollout over the course of a week as per usual. 

4 hours ago, janndk said:

I don't think it makes any sense to have a "check updates" button/function that doesn't work, but mostly just gives a false impression that your software is up-to-date.

Exactly.