Evernote personal to Evernote Teams

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

Hi, I simply want to know how to upgrade Evernote Personal to Evernote Teams, because I want to use it with 1 more member.

When I try to upgrade my account, I just can to do it to a Professional account, not to a Teams one.

Can I do that directly?

any help will be very welcome! Thanks in advance community!

ernesto

• Level 5*
  • Solution

Hi.  If there are only two of you (or generally less than 6) I'd say - don't use Teams.  You'll have the complications of a business account and two separate personal accounts,  which all require constant admin to allow individuals access to the parts of the account they need...  Plus you can't 'upgrade' to Teams - you need to be a new subscriber at that account level and invite others to join you.

Easier just to subscribe to another personal account and share notebooks between you.

• Thanks 1
hace 3 horas, gazumped dijo:

Hi.  If there are only two of you (or generally less than 6) I'd say - don't use Teams.  You'll have the complications of a business account and two separate personal accounts,  which all require constant admin to allow individuals access to the parts of the account they need...  Plus you can't 'upgrade' to Teams - you need to be a new subscriber at that account level and invite others to join you.

Easier just to subscribe to another personal account and share notebooks between you.

Thank you gazumped for your clear message!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you need to organize a small team, you can use a Professional account. It has many features of Teams for collaboration, but less overhead.

Teams is useful when you need to fine tune the „who is able to see what“ in a permanent group of people.

• Thanks 1
hace 7 minutos, PinkElephant dijo:

If you need to organize a small team, you can use a Professional account. It has many features of Teams for collaboration, but less overhead.

Teams is useful when you need to fine tune the „who is able to see what“ in a permanent group of people.

Thank you PinkElephant!

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

@PinkElephant would love to not use teams. bc my team is just +2 people. but...

the issue i've run into is that Pro doesn't allow the guest in a shared notebook to edit tags anymore. (it used to, until recently)

what's the hack on that? not sure if the 2 others can edit tags if they BUY a Pro account also...? 

it's difficult to get timely support from the EN team. hopefully they'll implement a near-realtime chat support like heptabase or copilot. 

• Level 5*
24 minutes ago, makeitwork said:

the issue i've run into is that Pro doesn't allow the guest in a shared notebook to edit tags anymore. (it used to, until recently)

Agreed - Evernote have said that it's by intention;  tags are personal to the subscriber,  so while you can share a tagged note with someone,  they will not now see and are unable to add or alter tags. 

They seem to be offering the Teams product as the alternative here,  and maybe they're suspicious of users trying to get a business product on the cheap by sharing notes with dozens of others - but I think its a shame that they've also cut out the option to share with friends and partners - and in some cases students - where a Teams product is overkill.

Given that you can also share a note and allow others to alter the body of the note,  blocking their access to tags doesn't seem logical.  But its by design...

AFAIK the only way around it is to add your tag(s) to the title of the note - as well or instead of the tag system.  Use a 'unique' word - I tend to add 'x' as a prefix:  searching for <xbank> automatically excludes random text hits.

Thsi situation applies regardless of the subscription level of your colleagues - for the moment others cannot see or change your tags no matter what.

Please do tell Evernote your views.  I'd also quite like to allow my partner and kids to see and use my notes.  feedback@evernote.com

• Level 5

Personally I think it is a stupid decision.

Teams is made for PERMANENT teams. If you work on projects or in flexible groups, TEAMS accounts are no solution at all. EN told they designed the Professional level for this sort of flexible work. For me, they failed to deliver on this promise. Instead of adding abilities and features to live up to it, they reduce the features that help to organize group work and collaboration.

I decided when my renewal came up to drop the Professional subscription, because the expected value added did not materialize.

Removing tag from shared notes is just the last in a series of bad decisions regarding sharing. Anybody remember we once had Work Chat ? Or sharing of notebooks via links ? Now we can add Shared Tags to that list, a tool to signal the status of shared notes in a collaboration (like setting a notes tag to "Done" in a project).

About the motivation I don't think it was deliberate. To my best assumption it was a technical problem they encountered while developing RENT. Instead of solving it, they decided to cut the corner and drop the feature that caused them headaches.

For my use cases it is another feature dropped - from the feature set I decided to pay for a few months ago.

• Like 1