Scans from SnapScan xi500ee have yellow bar on right hand side of all scans

Every page I scan from SnapScan xi500ee (original Evernote Edition scanner) now includes a perfect yellow column approximately 3/4" in size, 1/4" from the right hand side margin.  It only appears on the first page of every scan.  If I print the document, the yellow column also prints.  The bar isn't dirt of dust on the scanning image camera, it appears to be electronically added to the scan for some reason.  I've searched everywhere and can't find any items published either on the Evernote forum or at Fujitsu.

Does anyone have any ideas about the cause and how to fix it?  I've attached a screen shot showing an example of what the band looks like on the RHS of the first page of every scan.  The scanner is around 9 years old..but it hasn't had any issues with jams or properly feeding documents through the scanner.

Screenshot 2024-03-23 at 4.15.16 PM.png

• Evernote Expert

The xi500ee is no longer supported. There was a means of updating the firmware but even that software has been withdrawn. So if you haven't upgraded the firmware then you are at serious risk of the scanner failing. There is another thread running with a temporary link to the firmware update so search for ScanSnap and see if that helps.

• Level 5

No idea about the yellow bar. If it only appears on the first page, it must be software driven.

Here is the link to convert an edition scanner into a regular ix500.

It is a one way update - there is no way back.

I should have said that I converted from the original Evernote software many years again as soon as it was recommended.  To my knowledge, I have only applied updates to the SnapScan Home software when it called for updating…not to the physical scanner itself.  Might there be anything else to check?  And on a related note, if I have to replace the scanner, which model should I get?  Is the SnapScan iX1600 the version to focus on?

• Evernote Expert

Thanks for the clarification. First of all, does the yellow bar appear in scans which you don't send to Evernote?

It's it just one format or does it appear in all formats? eg just PDFs not jpg.

• Level 5

To make the scanner behave as a regular ix500, it’s firmware need to be updated. Everything is in the link I have posted, including a description.

No ide about the yellow stripe, but as posted if it appears on 1st pages only, it must be inserted by software. Dirt looks different, and a hardware error would affect all pages.

Thanks for all the suggestions.  To close the loop,  I just got off the phone with SnapScan (Ricoh) support.  They confirmed my old ix500 has reached the end of its life.  I'm upgrading to the iX1600.  I appreciate the support.