Good old legacy features missing: Tag colors

pferenc
Go to solution Solved by Mike P,

Idea

I'm in the process of switching from the old Evernote Legacy app to the new Evernote Desktop app.
There are a few missing features that I loved in the old app.
This is one of them.

Tag colors

• I've put quite an effort in making nice and meaningful coloring of my tags
  • i loved the way legacy app indicated the existence of tags with colors:
    image.png.37cdce8762f622cbf50c8b7c84260f7e.png

7 replies to this idea

• Solution

The standard work around is to use coloured emojis as part of your tag name

image.png.6a4d5a27a45f692cdd6ffc0680a10d19.png

This has advantages and disadvantages, mainly as the emoji is now part of the tag name. This means you can search for tags containing the emoji

image.png.fb55ac189e1f6a005a97e7e856695091.png

but also if you use the advanced search syntax you need to include the emoji. I have all my common emojis linked to strings in a text expander to give me instant access to them. So 

,,r gives me 🔴 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Mike P said:

but also if you use the advanced search syntax you need to include the emoji.

If this is a big issue you could add the emoji to the end of the tag and use the search wildcard. eg if your tag was 

green_🟢  

You could use

tag:green_🟢  

OR

tag:green*

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

If this is a big issue you could add the emoji to the end of the tag and use the search wildcard. eg if your tag was 

green_🟢  

You could use

tag:green_🟢  

OR

tag:green*

this comes very close to the "good old" tag coloring feature.

still searchable, and the cards view shows colors.

i guess, i'll need to go through my colored tags and add an emoji to them.

question: why the underscore? tags cannot have spaces?

41 minutes ago, pferenc said:

tags cannot have spaces?

Tags definitely can have spaces. If you use advanced search syntax then you need to surround tags containing spaces with quotation marks. The underscore saves me having to do that.

Also I can imagine that some apps would not allow spaces in tags so it potentially makes my notes more portable when I finally decide that I've had enough of EN and the pain of leaving is less than the pain of staying.

• Level 5
On 3/13/2024 at 3:17 AM, pferenc said:
  • I've put quite an effort in making nice and meaningful coloring of my tags

Just out of curiosity, did those colors sync to other devices? I did that with my notebooks in the "old" Evernote on a Windows computer, and it was limited to that device; it didn't sync even to other Windows computers.

On 3/13/2024 at 12:49 PM, Mike P said:

Tags definitely can have spaces. If you use advanced search syntax then you need to surround tags containing spaces with quotation marks. The underscore saves me having to do that.

Also I can imagine that some apps would not allow spaces in tags so it potentially makes my notes more portable when I finally decide that I've had enough of EN and the pain of leaving is less than the pain of staying.

Thank you for this information, this indeed makes the handling of tags more practical.

13 hours ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Just out of curiosity, did those colors sync to other devices? I did that with my notebooks in the "old" Evernote on a Windows computer, and it was limited to that device; it didn't sync even to other Windows computers.

This might be right, but i can neither confirm nor deny. I'm using evernote since 2010, but I never used it on multiple computers in parallel.

On the other hand I switched my computer several times during this 14 years and I don't remember losing tag colors during the migration.

• Like 1