adding abiliity to prioritize tasks (A1, A2, A3; B1,B2, B3- etc)

swallace111

Idea

evernote is a pretty good note taking app.  Adding tasks feature was a real plus--BUT-- there is no ability for adding priorities (other then a red flag for very high priority items).  Please add ability to give tasks priorities (like A1, A2, A3; B1,B2, B3; or "high" "Med", "Low") and then the ability to sort based on priorities.  As it stands now every task is basically the same priority, which really isn't true.

8 replies to this idea

6 minutes ago, swallace111 said:

evernote is a pretty good note taking app.  Adding tasks feature was a real plus--BUT-- there is no ability for adding priorities (other then a red flag for very high priority items).  Please add ability to give tasks priorities (like A1, A2, A3; B1,B2, B3; or "high" "Med", "Low") and then the ability to sort based on priorities.  As it stands now every task is basically the same priority, which really isn't true.

I agree that this sort of functionality would be useful.

In the mean time there is alot you can do for yourself using a text based system (e.g <A1> or an emoji based system (🔴 🔵 etc)

Here is a screen shot of my current task list

image.thumb.png.1fe561a81297d55ac117d7d2b1931b67.png

And you can search:

image.png.89e61d528ccd4cb67e55f704d55b8e23.png

• Like 2

And, also, you just described in your post how you could accomplish the same thing using a naming convention.  Start each task your priority code: A1:[task] B3:[task] etc.  Then open the task window and enter your priority code in the search box.  Entering A1: will show all of the tasks with that priority.

Vinnie

On 3/7/2024 at 10:49 AM, Mike P said:

I agree that this sort of functionality would be useful.

In the mean time there is alot you can do for yourself using a text based system (e.g <A1> or an emoji based system (🔴 🔵 etc)

Here is a screen shot of my current task list

image.thumb.png.1fe561a81297d55ac117d7d2b1931b67.png

And you can search:

image.png.89e61d528ccd4cb67e55f704d55b8e23.png

Thanks for the suggestions and I agree that this would help the problem, but after trying it, while it would work, it is a solution that is a little "clunky".

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, swallace111 said:

Thanks for the suggestions and I agree that this would help the problem, but after trying it, while it would work, it is a solution that is a little "clunky".

I would certainly not use it without my keystroke expander that converts ,,r into 🔴 and gives me easy access to all the different emojis I use.

The text based system also works well but there is the danger that you use the string in the title anyway. Hence my suggestion of using angle brackets around it. e.g <A1>

As I said, I hope they will improve the tasks experience, but in the mean time at least I have a system that works for me.

@swallace111, yes, it can be a bit clunky.  I use that approach myself not for prioritization, but to be able to look at separate task lists for home and work.  Whenever I make a new task, I start it with either H: or W: depending on the nature of the task.  Then I can type W: to see all of my work-related tasks, or H: to see my home-related tasks.  I like @MikeP's approach of using emojis too...  I just haven't gotten around to playing with it.

Vinnie

• Like 1

In addition to adding priorities for tasks as is planned, the ability to sort tasks is also needed.  Sorting open vs completed tasks is also importatnt.

1 hour ago, expressp said:

the ability to sort tasks is also needed.

Perhaps you should explain why the current sort options do not meet your need.

image.png.5b6d7ff32bf728be463d74536593f3a9.png

Sorting open vs completed tasks is also importatnt.

For me the ability to not show completed tasks or to move them to the bottom is sufficient. What else would you like to see?

image.png.642285cfb4a44fbfa10c31edbb3f0443.png

• Level 5*

In addition to adding priorities for tasks as is planned, the ability to sort tasks is also needed.

Your other post on the same topic has been removed.  Please continue your discussion here and as mentioned by @Mike P, please no double posting.

• Like 1