After 16 years I am leaving EverNote for Obsidian

9 hours ago, rflang said:

I've been using Evernote daily since 2009.  This is very first post and, sadly, it is to say goodbye.  I just cancelled my account based on the price increase.  

image.png.fd3037d156c8917528fe8aa0c7dbaa70.png

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

C'mon folks - leaver-bashing is not a good look for the Forums.  The price increase was a shock,  and although it may be possible to get a good discount if you correctly downgrade your account to Free,  that only lasts for the first year.  If you don't feel Evernote's features are worth the cost,  then it makes sense to find a cheaper alternative.

NB:  If you are leaving it is essential to downgrade your account.  Go to https://www.evernote.com/BillyBillingProfile.action (it's the 'Billing' page of your online account) and check out the very bottom of the page,  just above "Terms of Service".   'Cancel your Evernote subscription' is there - choosing it will downgrade you to Free.

Not choosing it will likely result in you paying a subscription and having to contact Support for a refund.  Cancelling the subscription is entirely in your own hands.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

leaver-bashing is not a good look for the Forums

True but Neither is constantly harping on about how things were. The professional / adult approach would be...

Am i leaving? .....for whatever reason.

OK leave and move on.

• Level 5*

And

20 minutes ago, AKARJLUK said:

The professional / adult approach 

...to that would be

To say that if you gotta go,  you gotta go - don't forget to cancel your subscriptions on the way...

1 hour ago, AKARJLUK said:

Am i leaving? .....for whatever reason.

OK leave and move on.

Technically, I'm still an evernote user, because I'm still using Evernote Legacy in "archive mode".

And after keeping Evernote Legacy forever method is discovered, I'm pretty confident even to make changes to some of the notes there, because I use DAR for incremental backups (each around 4MB). And I can even use syncthing to sync to other PCs + backup as well, and even sync with Android devices (using beforementioned syncthing and winlator - partially tested, though, it's quite sluggish).

So, there is a life after the death.

8 hours ago, gazumped said:

although it may be possible to get a good discount if you correctly downgrade your account to Free,  that only lasts for the first year.

Not necessarily, I consistently receive a substantial discount on my virus scanner by unsubscribing each year...

• Like 1