How to keep data locally (ie to use Evernote when not connected to the internet)

I've recently been upgraded to the new Evernote which has been a nightmare. Very unwelcome on returning to the office in January.  I am finding the whole thing  impossibly hard to navigate, I dislike the format and a vast number of files have been inexplicably moved to my bin. However, my question is:

My old version stored information on my computer meaning I had access to notes when offline. I desperately need this restored rather than the frustrating and useless version currently where you only have the heading of the notes and no content. 

I also want new notes to sync so that the data is being stored on Evernote's servers as well as being available locally.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you so much for any wisdom.

• Level 5*

Hi.  Tools > Settings > Application to see whether your account is keeping copies of the notes on your local device.  If you converted recently,  the data may still be being downloaded - v10 doesn't take over the 'old' data from your app,  it downloads a new version from the server,  and that may take some time.  If you're behind a work firewall,  that might slow or prevent your access.

Notwithstanding the download process you should still find that Evernote will preferentially download any notes you want to see,  and will sync new content as normal.  To verify that,  just open Evernote.com in a browser and sign in.

Hope that helps.

• Level 5

First step would be to make sure all notes have synced to the server. There were tools to repair local database problems in the legacy client. This is an often underestimated problem - when I had both in parallel, the note count only got corrected when I repaired the legacy install.

Then any notebooks declared as local won’t sync at all. You need to export them to ENEX - one file per notebook. Then import them again, as synced notebooks.

When done check in the web client if it all matches.

After that you can install the new client, downloaded from the EN website. Open, log in. Let it open to enable a full download of notes and attachments. This can take a while.

Initially this will slow down operations. Once everything is in place, it works fine.

On opening older notes for the first time expect a small delay - the data structure of the note needs to be converted first.