Something I just can't cipher.

I understand not offering, nor maintaining, nor even talking about the Linux beta. It wasn't great, but it did work. Today I went to log in and the client itself is now blocked. I do not understand the motivation for this -- how is allowing the Linux beta client to function hurting Evernote as a company/product/whatever? It's not like anyone using it is expecting any technical support for it (at least I'd assume if you're using a beta client that hasn't been updated in years you expect to fix your own problems).

I can't see this as anything but a giant middle finger to Linux users -- and while there aren't many Evernote users running Linux, what is the benefit of doing this to them? (And make no mistake, this is something being "done to" these users, myself included. Loaded language used with intent.) It's not like I'm going to switch to Windows just to use Evernote!

I have paid for Evernote for over a decade, and barring some sudden turnaround, I will not be renewing my subscription this summer when it comes due. It has gone from a fast, nimble, and extraordinarily valuable tool that I used constantly to a balky, unpredictable, downright obnoxious at times app that seems to have little interest in actually doing what I need it to do.

ETA: My personal account is paid; this is the account I use for work, which I was planning on getting its own subscription until this happened.

Edited by -TG-
Clarifying paid/free
  • Level 5

EN needs to assure syncing between clients and server.

They optimized a lot in the engine room lately - probably the beta version was left behind on one of these changes.

Maybe support can tell you more (but I doubt it).

That doesn't really scan to me. If things like vzhd1701's evernote-backup still work, it would make more sense to me to limit the functionality rather than nuking the client entirely -- degrade gracefully rather than fail catastrophically.

I'm practically certain support will be of no use whatsoever; I'm sure almost anyone reading this would guess that the only thing I really expect to accomplish here is yelling at metaphorical clouds.

• Level 5

They ran a beta, then they decided to abandon it.

They don't need to justify this, they just decided to pour money and devs hours into other projects.

But as we know they are working on the backend, I think there is a very technical reason to hard stop the Linux beta now. There are many v10 releases now that are deprecated either, for the same reason: They will no longer reliably work.

Let me be a little more explicit in linking the two concepts:

Allowing legacy users to sink or swim is fairly standard behavior as far as I've seen (and I've seen a lot of it, both in hardware and in software).

The older APIs appear to still work, indicating to me that the older core functions still work largely unchanged (ie, basic sync, not collaborative [which I never wanted at all anyway!]).

Ergo, the Linux beta should still work, since it itself hasn't changed. Thus, disabling it is not the dev team moving on -- they already moved on a year and a half ago (or whenever it was) when they said it was no longer being developed nor supported.

The above indicates to me that it is extremely unlikely that disabling the Linux beta was necessary due to backend issues. I cannot think of another motive beyond malice, or at best a certain profoundly callous disregard, like an amplified version of the "just use the web app!" parrots.

In the highly unlikely event that someone can speak to the actual motivation involved with at least some minimal details to back it up beyond the base assertion, you will have at a minimum my deep and sincere gratitude. Evernote has been an important part of my life for a very long time now, and having it do the software equivalent of flipping me the bird and ditching me after stealing my keys is pretty brutal.

• Level 5

You are just embarrassed that things are not going as you would like them to go. That’s life, get used to it.

They killed a beta app, and that’s all we need to know 

You can continue your heartfelt discussion with support. Be assured it will be like throwing cotton balls against a rubber wall. Smooooooth ….

7 hours ago, GabrielAquilano said:

they killed a Beta app that they still advertise (see above) for no good reason (explained by OP). You don't need to be a zealot and constantly use a derogatory tone everywhere.

You complaint that the website still shows "Linux (beta)" and that that should be removed is totally valid. They should remove that too. 🙌👊👍  You are talking to other users here. But you can file a ticket to get the website fixed at support, or e-mail the feedback address. I do however also feel for your underlying sadness that the Linux beta is gone. It's a pity for people who wanted to use that or used to use that. 😐 

Can't say that I disagree -- that did come off as pretty patronizing. I understand if you are tired of seeing it, but:

1) It doesn't change the facts of the matter as I've stated them

2) I don't care. As I said, I don't expect to accomplish anything but venting and I'm fine with that.

3) You are not required to read or comment.

Speaking as someone who has had a more than generous amount of awful stuff happen to them, you are welcome to take your "you're just embarrassed" nonsense and put it somewhere more appropriate. I leave the identification of that location as an exercise for the reader.

Once again, as I said, I am not surprised or angry that they killed the Linux beta. That is understandable. It is the distinctly disrespectful manner in which BS is handling it that is at issue. If they had not done this, I would have pursued running EN under WINE or in a VM; I use VMs for other Windows-only software and have used WINE in the past. Given the lack of evidence that this trend of disregard for users is doing anything but accelerating, I am instead putting my focus on migrating to a new PKB system.

• Like 1