Evernote super slow

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

Version 10.73.3-mac

macOS Ventura Version 13.4.1 (c)

Everything is slow. Search is slow, typing is slow, opening notes is slow, creating new notes ... you guessed it - really f'ing slow

I'm not sure if anyone else is experiencing this and I'm not sure what to do as this is been going on for about three weeks, and I have continuously been updating my Evernote. 

Would really appreciate any suggestions or thoughts on this as I am trying not to leave the product, but if this goes on for another handful of weeks, I don't have a choice.

• Like 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

Full uninstall, using AppCleaner. Download fresh installer from the EN website, not the AppStore.

After open and login, let it run for quite a while. It will download a fresh copy of your database.

The reason for slugginess is in most cases a damaged local database, that needs to be replaced.

• Like 2

Any suggestions for super-slow/sluggishness for Windows users - both with the Windows app and the web client?  Both are horribly slow.  Regarding the app I've tried quitting En; I've trying full uninstall [using Revo Uninstaller] and reinstall.  Regarding web app, I occasionally clear all browsing data.  These measures may improve performance briefly, but it quickly boggs down again.  Speculating, but I'm an avid tag user... not sure anymore how to get a tag count, but it's certainly in the thousands, maybe tens of thousands by now.  I also use a lot of internal links.  The new (since v10) Evernote since it's release does not seem engineered to cater to users of either.  Any help or direction to other helpful threads would be greatly appreciated!  Evernote is a integral part of my daily workflow and this performance problem costs me many hours of lost productivity every week.  Very frustrated...

• Level 5

Web client: Check your internet connection, empty the browser cache.

Installed client: Uninstall using Revo Uninstaller. Install fresh from the website, open, log in. Keep the app running to download a fresh copy from the server.

• Like 1

What about mobile apps? Using iPhone & iPad in the latest release (10.68.0), they are really really slow. I think it is worst than a couple previous versions .

Cannot copy/paste. It keeps refreshing and is really hard to work through the iPad. It is really difficult to open a note and use the menu

Thank you

• Level 5

I have no issues on iPad or iPhone. Super fast, creating a new note 1 second, scrolling is fluid, searching is a blink.

So sorry, can’t really advise.

Since mobile relies a lot on the cloud server, check your internet connection. Try logout/quit/restart/open/login.

Try a forced restart of the device.

If nothing helps, log out, uninstall, dump all data when asked, forced restart, reinstall.

Regarding iOS...

My experience with the iOS app [on iPhone 11, v17.2.1] is terrible as well.  It seems a fully re-sync is necessary before it's even usable and this takes ridiculously long, 5 to 10 minutes probably.  On the rare instance I use the iOS app [because it's so painful] it's because I need to access something quickly - and this hasn't been possible for as long as I can remember (since the "New" Evernote).  Case in point - I just did a manual Sync... took 9 minutes, 29 sec.  It's the case every day, sometimes multiple times a day - when I'm patient or desperate enough to attempt using it.

If I attempt for example to search for a tag [before a complete Sync has finished] I either get a blank screen or a list of empty tags (tag symbol with white bar (no text)) as if it's found tags that fit the search, but it can't display the text or allow me to select one until a full Sync has completed.

For what it's worth the Background App Refresh setting is ON, and I've tried completely deleting the app and data, reinstalling, and re-syncing.

Regarding the Windows installed client and web client, @PinkElephant, like I explained above, I've done all you've suggested to no avail.  Could it be the amount of data?  ~7,000 notes (empty trash bin), ? tags (thousands, maybe 10's of thousands... don't now how to get a count).

2 minutes ago, hartman_md said:

Regarding iOS...

My experience with the iOS app [on iPhone 11, v17.2.1] is terrible as well.  It seems a fully re-sync is necessary before it's even usable and this takes ridiculously long, 5 to 10 minutes probably.  On the rare instance I use the iOS app [because it's so painful] it's because I need to access something quickly - and this hasn't been possible for as long as I can remember (since the "New" Evernote).  Case in point - I just did a manual Sync... took 9 minutes, 29 sec.  It's the case every day, sometimes multiple times a day - when I'm patient or desperate enough to attempt using it.

If I attempt for example to search for a tag [before a complete Sync has finished] I either get a blank screen or a list of empty tags (tag symbol with white bar (no text)) as if it's found tags that fit the search, but it can't display the text or allow me to select one until a full Sync has completed.

For what it's worth the Background App Refresh setting is ON, and I've tried completely deleting the app and data, reinstalling, and re-syncing.

Regarding the Windows installed client and web client, @PinkElephant, like I explained above, I've done all you've suggested to no avail.  Could it be the amount of data?  ~7,000 notes (empty trash bin), ? tags (thousands, maybe 10's of thousands... don't now how to get a count).

Oh, and my internet connection is fine.  267 Mbps Download, 387.6 Mbps Upload.