I can't move my old notes into one notebook and my account is unusable now

Go to solution Solved by gazumped,

So there I was, I was writing some D&D notes today, and I kept getting a new popup saying I can only have one notebook and 50 notes. Well I did have three notebooks but one is the default I can't delete, and then one older notebook I don't really use anymore, so I deleted it. But only 17 notes. Well that's frustrating but should be an easy fix, I'll just highlight all my notes from the non-default notebook and move them to the default one and then delete the now empty second notebook, no biggie right? HAHA WRONG.  I can't even move files between notebooks without getting this stupid popup saying I need to upgrade to fix this problem. Well at some point I managed to delete the note I was working on because I couldn't move it out of the default notebook it shouldn't have been in, and then I thought maybe my trash was counting against my 50 note limit so I cleared it, and somewhere along the way I had thought I successfully moved my new note somewhere else and trying to consolidate my two notebooks into one, I lost my most recent note and maybe six hours of prep time.

Pretty frustrating, and I've been getting sick of subscription popups lately anyway, so I wanted to just send in a ticket complaint and close my account, but you can't even contact support without paying these insane subscription prices that are more than a streaming service, so here I am making a forum post that might not even get approved by a mod because it's pretty negative. I just wanted to put some text in a cloud notebook, dudes, and you made that difficult. At this point Dropbox is a better note taking app than Evernote and this is my disgruntled "I'm out" post. Seriously guys this is maybe a $3/mo service at best, it's text in a cloud bucket, you're insane asking for this much. I wasn't even notified of these changes and that's probably the most confusing and frustrating thing about this, because once the changes were in place, I was unable to fix my account to be in compliance with the new limits. I didn't find out about them until I started writing this angry post and was wondering what was going on.

I just searched my email to double check, and I was never even notified of these changes, but apparently in December "any Free user who currently has more than fifty notes and one notebook will still be able to view, edit, export, share, and delete existing notes and notebooks." You know what's missing here? The MOVE FUNCTION. How am I supposed to consolidate into one notebook if I can't move my notes? They reduced the free version's limits and that put me over the max, and that broke my ability to fix it without jumping through some obnoxious hurdles and copy/pasting outside of Evernote, which is insane. If you wanted me to go outside of Evernote so badly, I'm never coming back. I'm switching to Notion and would encourage everyone else to as well. Evernote is run by MBAs who think that making the free version unusable is a better company goal than making the paid version more appealing, and that's unacceptable.

• Level 5

It is 50 notes and 1 notebook.

No matter which limit you cross, your are not able to create new notes or move them. Check the trash, notes there count as well.

Option 1: Export from the old notebook, import into the new one.

Option 2: Subscribe for a month, then move.

The new Free plan is not intended for sustained use. And actually we are other users here, we don’t care much if you are happy with the Free plan or not. If you have a grieve with EN, send them feedback.

• Like 1

Option 3: change to a platform that respects its users and close the account. Free users can't even talk to support, and they pushed me to the forum instead, hence this post. If you don't want posts like this in your forum, leave them feedback about why they outsourced free user support here, because they have a grayed out button for support, and a clickable button to take it to the forum. You're mad at me for being a free user posting my gripes here, but you should be mad at the company that made this my only option and pushing that on to you when you're paying $15/mo. The only feedback I was able to provide was a brief summary of why I closed the account after I made this post.

Export/import probably would have resolved the issue, but the popups I got were only about creating new notes, and there was no indication that moving notes wasn't allowed, and again, they didn't notify me of the change. And I didn't know you couldn't move notes anymore, because that's crazy for one,  but also I was still able to select them and hit move. That's when the file got deleted, because I assumed the popup about not creating new notes wasn't about not being able to use the move action, that just doesn't make sense. So I thought it was moved out of the notebook I then deleted. It was a very stupid and simple problem that they created, and paying them to fix it feels a whole lot like blackmail at that point. Real nice notes ya got there, be a real shame if something happened to them.

It clearly is intended for sustained use due to the unlimited duration if your needs meet those limits. It would be a 14 day trial otherwise. I did have three notebooks but I would have been just fine with one, and I've been deleting old notes for years, I think I only had 17 at the time. If they hadn't pulled the rug out from under me and told me I needed to consolidate three notebooks into one without the move function, I would have probably kept using it. If the price wasn't so offensively high, I would have even paid $3-5/mo to get all the annoying "last chance for this deal" popups that are false advertising.

You can do what you want, but the writing is on the wall. Private equity buyouts never end well. They recently doubled prices and made high impact unannounced account changes. It's time to leave before it gets worse and the data breaches start. A lot of Evernote refugees seem really happy with Joplin, but my needs are pretty simple cloud text notes, so I ended up using Notion. Good luck everyone.

• Haha 1
  • Level 5*
  • Solution
19 minutes ago, Evernote_sucks_now said:

Free users can't even talk to support, and they pushed me to the forum instead

Free users never had the ability to talk to Support.  This Forum is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful technical support groups I've ever been involved with and most normal queries can be resolved here - except for ones related to passwords and finance.  The fact that the company wants to be paid for its services is not something that should come as a terrible surprise.  Consolidating notebooks - especially if you have less than 20 notes - is easy;  all you need do is export notes from your unwanted notebooks to ENEX files;  then delete the notebooks and import those file into your remaining notebook. 

If you prefer to go to Notion,  please feel free (no pun intended...) I'll leave the solution here for someone who's willing to ask a civil question rather than leave a rant.

• Like 2