Not able to get the exact number of a keyword when searching folder.

Since getting the new evernote I have an issue in that I cannot get the exact number of a keyword search in a notebook. All it will display is 1000+ .Before, when it would show the exact number I used it to get a percentage.. Any ideas of how to work around this problem ?

On 1/18/2024 at 2:10 PM, jackietreehorn said:

Any ideas of how to work around this problem ?

You would need to divide up the search so that each sub search had less than 1000 notes. Then add up the results of each sub search. The obvious way to do it would be by created date. You could either do it using the filter menu (tedious) or the advanced search syntax. So for example 

created:month-1    gives all the notes created in the last two calendar months (Dec and Jan as I write)
created:month-2 -created:month-1  gives all notes created three calendar months ago (Nov)

You can use year instead of month. The advanced search synyx would be easier to modify to create the different searches than using the filter menu.

See https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php for full details

Why do you need the percentage? Could there be an easier way of doing it?

11 minutes ago, Mike P said:

Could there be an easier way

Sorry - I think the most easiest way would be if EN would tell us the correct count 😉

EN search is based on an pre-calculated index. It's not that hard to calculate the count without having to search all notes for the desired word...

5 minutes ago, AlbertR said:

Sorry - I think the most easiest way would be if EN would tell us the correct count 😉

Obviously, but I can't control that, so in the real world we have to come up with solutions that we can use now. 

I interpret the 1000+ message  as "you've got far too many notes here, how about filtering down to a more manageable number to browse through". That's a good idea if you are using search to find notes to read, as it was intended. If you are using  it as more of a  database function to discover the number of notes that meet certain criteria then I agree it's not very helpful.