Another disappointed faithful user

Go to solution Solved by PinkElephant,

So in what universe does a company double its annual rate.....and then not have a valid platform for user discontent? For those of you who feel this platform is hijacked with complaints, kindly redirect me.

Meanwhile please consider that I have used EN for 20 years. At some point along the way when it was an option to do so I subscribed as a personal user because I wanted to support the company, though at the time I didn't use the product consistently or optimimally. After subscribing I did appreciate multiple notebooks, using the webclipper and the ability to open my account on any device that I logged into with either app or web page. That's about all the features I used and at that, not commonly. I was not a collaborator.

Now after 20 years, with this cost doubling in 1 year, I feel this is a form of ransomware. The app has 20 years of my history, that I painstakingly organized into separate notebooks (though understandably not needed). There was little to no significant notice that this would happen or method laid out how to export my notebooks into 1 notebook so that I could at least become a personal user, though what would it matter if limited to 50 notes? Would I still get web clipper and open on any device? Could using stacks allow me to keep some semblance of organization?

During my years of use I was in the midst of a career with income and now look to wind down and enjoy the personal use aspect of EN. In other words, use it more commonly for research on aging optimally and enjoying looking back at the notes as a journal to my past. Unfortunately with the increased cost of technology for survival (laptops, cell phones, earbuds, cloud storage services, music and video streaming, etc), it is a real stretch to see a doubling in cost in just 1 year, so pardon my complaint. I would like to close my account, but am held ransom at least temporarily while I figure out how to save my data, probably to One Note or Google Docs, though I really liked that EN was not one of the big dogs who do unimaginable acts with our data. Too bad, I know.

If anyone can provide a well trusted link or info for exporting to any valid alternatives I would appreciate it. Again, I am not a heavy user and could probably contain most of my notes into 5-6 Notebooks if pressed to do so (though it would lose value much because of the disorganization). 

Thank you

• Level 5*

Hi.  You're mainly talking to other users here,  and while no-one is pleased at the price increases it may be understandable given that subscriptions didn't change at all for several years,  so they need to catch up - and a lot of work is being done in the background to make the service faster, more reliable,  and more secure.  More details on that here https://evernote.com/blog/2023-recap

Seems to me you have two options - 

1. change your subscription to monthly to give yourself a little more time to make a decision as to the future
  2. drop your account to Basic (free) in course of which you may get some discount offers for the next whole year

Either way,  while you can't add any new notes to a Basic account (so no Clipper either) you can still hang on to your existing content and view or edit your notes as and when you wish.

You can export your notes from a desktop if you wish - see Export notes and notebooks as ENEX or HTML for lots more on how to do that...

• Like 1
  • Level 5
  • Solution

To contact EN officially, try this:

Or use the feedback function build into the clients.

As a longterm user you probably have noticed that while all cost were going up, EN had maintained a flat price level for years. Part of the raise we see now is just making up for missed increases in the past. Another part is probably due to the fact that under the former owners, the company was not profitable in years. If you are interested in a sustained operation of EN, you surely understand why it is necessary they refinance themselves from their subscription income. Since EN does not trade with it's users data, the subscriptions are the principal source of revenue.

Thank you Gazumped and Pink Elephant for your helpful responses. While I still believe $159 is over the top for any responsible operation of this software, I appreciate your consideration and offerings. It was a great product for me from the beginning and I never really struggled with speed or use in any way. Security, well, I just don't put things on EN that matter. So I will follow up on our ideas.

Thanks again.

• Like 1