Evernote deleted on my Windows laptop

Evernote suddenly deleted itself on my laptop. One day it was there, the next day it was gone with no evidence of having been there at all. The start menu link was gone and when I searched in programs, there was only an empty EN folder.

I think I did have some Windows updates recently but it seems like I'd used EN again after that, as generally I'm in EN almost every day.

Anyone else have this happen?

On my work laptop today I tried to open EN and it immediately downloaded the newest update without even opening the old one and asking me if I wanted to, but the start menu button was still there. With my home laptop there was nothing to show EN had ever been there other than the single empty folder.

Both are running Windows 10 with all the most recent security updates.

• Level 5

No (about your first question).

The auto update has been there for quite a while, so it’s quite normal it downloads the most recent software when available.

About loosing an app on a work machine: In general anything can happen on a computer run by a company IT. The central IT has control, can even uninstall apps remotely. So you need to tell more to make any sense out of it.

• Evernote Expert

The good news, for paid subscriptions, it's that you can download the installer and reinstall on as many machines as you wish. Your data should be restored over a period of hours.

yes, I was able to re-install and it downloaded all my data. I just wondered what would suddenly cause it to be deleted?

Pink Elephant - it was my home laptop that deleted EN so no IT involved, just me. My work one is fine, just did the auto-update thing. I looked for a way to turn that off but didn't see it. I generally do accept updates but often I'm in a hurry to get some piece of information from EN, esp at work, and don't want to wait while it downloads the new one, installs and then finally opens. I prefer to get my work done and then accept the update. most software will tell you there is an update and ask if you want to do it now or wait.

• Level 5

Could be a lot of things. An Antivirus for example who suddenly believes that EN is highly aggressive (must have visited the website, with popups and rebates banner). Hard to tell, without logs.

And for me, with logs either (not that sort of nerd).

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, it just happened again. I was definitely using EN this morning, then needed to restart Windows for updates. When it restarted, EN was gone again and i had to download and install again and now it's rebuilding all my notes. It's not my antivirus program as it's definitely tied to Windows updates.

• Evernote Expert

This may feel like an unnecessary chore but it may help, after you have reinstalled, to perform a thorough uninstall of Evernote using the Revo Uninstaller program.  This will not only do a basic uninstall but also clear out anything in the registry that may be causing this issue and any left over program files that might be causing the issue.

Otherwise reinstalling just loads up on top of broken stuff and problem often persists.