Hi all,

I'm a paid EN user since 2008 who is transitioning out.

Part of that process is deleting old notes and notebooks which are no longer relevant. For some reason, I can't delete empty notebooks either on the Windows client or on the web. I get the following error: "Failed to delete [Notebookname]. In this case, the notebook is called "CLOSED C....".

Has anyone seen this behavior before? The notebooks were initially in a stack, but I've tried deleting them both from within the stack and also once removed from the stack.

Thanks for any suggestions.

cantdeletenotebook.jpg

• Evernote Expert

You don't say which version of Evernote you're using. Is this a desktop app or web browser?

If the desktop then I'd suggest rebuilding your local data. File, Sign out, remove your data. Then log back in.

Thanks, everyone.

1. This behavior occurs both on windows (10.68.3-win-winstore-public) and on the web. The screenshot above is from the web.

2. On Windows, the deleted folder disappears for a moment and then reappears. On the web version, it won't delete and displays the above image.

3. None of these are the default folder.

@agsteele - Given that this occurs both locally and on the web, do you think rebuilding the local data would help? It's a good idea.

@PinkElephant - I'm trying to slowly delete all the cruft so I can move the good stuff to Obsidian. I'm grateful that under the new free plan, I can still edit notes.

• Evernote Expert
14 minutes ago, jkos said:

Given that this occurs both locally and on the web, do you think rebuilding the local data would help? It's a good idea.

It won't do any harm but, I think, unlikely to resolve. @PinkElephant's comment on the default notebook would now seem more likely.