Why use evernote when other similar products are free?

Go to solution Solved by Dave-in-Decatur,

I was an early user of evernote, and recently came back to use it, it felt like coming home. So I started adding content, and was generally happy. apart from 2 things happened, that for me, instantly stopped me using it, and will never use it again.

1 - why on earth is there the constant requirement to upgrade with cheap offers that make the software unusable to enter a quick note on the fly, its free or it isn't. The whole experiance feels like its from some aggressive pop up marketing nightmare sales tool kit from the early 00's

2 - so now i cant use it because i've maxed out the notes (which really isn't that many, meaning the software isn't free but a trial.

Heres the deal. a notes app is basically a life long deal, so subscription methods have to offer some value. im not sure what I get for the money here, its 2024 and the alternatives are vast and free to use. 

I understand a company needs to make money, but this way doesn't work for any business model, or maybe it does, maybe the company is fine?

I wish you all the best, but i believe this software is going down the Quark express, Nokia and Phillips route of not adapting with the times and using desperate tactics that paradoxically create a bigger issue. Really sad, it was the best of them all once. 

Im sure some people will be annoyed by this post, but look, i'm just following logic. I hope i'm wrong, ignorant and my ego has got the best of me writing this, but i just don't know why i would upgrade and pay yearly when i can use notion or the stock notes app with mac or google. Whats so good about evernote that is worth 100 a year, I believe this is a fair question.

Thanks

G

• Level 5*
On 1/4/2024 at 5:23 PM, GG7 said:

Whats so good about evernote that is worth 100 a year, I believe this is a fair question.

Clearly it's one that you did no research for,  and you'd like someone else to do it for you for free.  We don't do that here either.

If you don't feel Evernote is worth the cost,  then clearly you should use different software.  Thanks for stopping by to share.

• Like 2
  • Level 5
  • Solution
On 1/4/2024 at 12:23 PM, GG7 said:

Heres the deal. a notes app is basically a life long deal, so subscription methods have to offer some value. im not sure what I get for the money here, its 2024 and the alternatives are vast and free to use. 

Just to be clear, these are user-to-user forums, not a way of addressing Evernote directly. To do that: feedback@evernote.com.

The short answer is that Evernote is not "a notes app." Notes are the basic unit to work with, and they can include attachments, which get OCR'd and thereby become searchable. Notes can be organized using notebooks, tags, or both, and notebooks can be stacked and tags can be arranged in hierarchies. Everything is searchable. Notes have the same appearance across Windows, Android, Mac, Web, etc. They sync automatically, without user intervention, and for most users do so very fast. Notes can be linked, so that tables of contents and other reference notes can be created; backlinks take you back a chain of linked notes. There's a Home page that can serve as a dashboard. Notes can be linked to Google Calendar. Etc., etc. "Note taking" is just the starting point.

If any service can do what Evernote does for free, they will bleed money for storage and bandwidth until they go belly up, start inserting adds and/or harvesting data, or stop being free. Evernote has chosen to do the latter, except as a bare-bones trial. I believe Evernote should offer a lower price point for a less capable service, though when they tried that before they did not get many takers since the free service was too good. Now it's not, and maybe a lower priced tier will finally make sense.

Bottom line: if a stock notes app gives you all you need, Evernote is indeed overpowered and overpriced for you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Just to be clear, these are user-to-user forums, not a way of addressing Evernote directly. To do that: feedback@evernote.com.

The short answer is that Evernote is not "a notes app." Notes are the basic unit to work with, and they can include attachments, which get OCR'd and thereby become searchable. Notes can be organized using notebooks, tags, or both, and notebooks can be stacked and tags can be arranged in hierarchies. Everything is searchable. Notes have the same appearance across Windows, Android, Mac, Web, etc. They sync automatically, without user intervention, and for most users do so very fast. Notes can be linked, so that tables of contents and other reference notes can be created; backlinks take you back a chain of linked notes. There's a Home page that can serve as a dashboard. Notes can be linked to Google Calendar. Etc., etc. "Note taking" is just the starting point.

If any service can do what Evernote does for free, they will bleed money for storage and bandwidth until they go belly up, start inserting adds and/or harvesting data, or stop being free. Evernote has chosen to do the latter, except as a bare-bones trial. I believe Evernote should offer a lower price point for a less capable service, though when they tried that before they did not get many takers since the free service was too good. Now it's not, and maybe a lower priced tier will finally make sense.

Bottom line: if a stock notes app gives you all you need, Evernote is indeed overpowered and overpriced for you.

A very reasonable reply, yes my question was critical, and I respect the logical answer. I believe this answer nails it, thanks for the time.

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Clearly it's one that you did no research for,  and you'd like someone else to do it for you for free.  We don't do that here either.

If you don't feel Evernote is worth the cost,  then clearly you should use different software.  Thanks for stopping by to share.

So with 36,986 posts, Id expect a more mature reply, but alas If nothing I got a laugh… Thanks for stopping by to share 😆