Note navigation in the Note List and Note Panel

This is likely a simple or stupid question with hopefully an easy answer, but it is impacting my workflows.  I have a set of notebooks:

image.png.c3721e3fde6fb2d30cc005e060e9618f.png

I want to find a note in notebook “.00 Search Test (2)” called “Test 2023”.  So, I click on the notebook “.00 Search Test (2)” in the Sidebar, a display of my notes in the notebook appears in the Note List, and I scroll through the listing to find the note of interest.  In my snippet view, I click on the “Test 2023” and the note is displayed in the Note Panel.  I know, very elementary.

image.png.a3bb6120a24a82c50518992163223dde.png

The key point here is the note is highlighted with a blue box in the Note List visibly on my screen and the note is displayed in the Note Panel. 

Now I open another note that has a Note Link to the “Test 2023” note. 

image.png.1a8bb1c800ee3174cf994b0e4383febe.png

When I click on the Note Link, the “Test 2023” note is displayed in the Note Panel, but is not visually highlighted in the Note List (blue or grey box visible on my current screen).   

image.png.cbee4aa81c30abc77d95596efad7316c.png

This is a small notebook of only 12 notes, so I can easily scroll through the notes in the Note List to find it.

image.png.ea6df9f6fcc779b75c8e2a2e4b0be58e.png

However, for a notebook that has hundreds of notes, that is not a quick or easy task.  There are other ways that make this situation happen so the question is not just about Note Links navigation. 

My question becomes: when a note is displayed in the Note Panel, but the corresponding snippet is not visibly shown on my current screen highlighted in the Note List, is there a way to make that happen other than scrolling and finding it in the Note List?

• Level 5

Hope I understand what you want, but can't reproduce it exactly.

The navigation between 2 linked notes is possible by using the backlink feature. But to make the backlink show, there must be anything in the notes body field. Only a note title is not enough - but even typing a "Space" into the notes body make the backlink appear:

image.thumb.png.86ea38c154c0f3d93d11d30f3297d696.png

Here I have inserted a link to the note "backlink test" in the note "TLS checking". Embedding a link into the TLS...-note will automatically create a backlink in the linked note. You see the backlink in my screenshot.

When I click on the link in the TLS...-note, it takes me to the linked note, and to the notebook in which it is located. It will be marked in the notes list with a grey outline. Hitting the backlink will take me back to the note that holds the link.

Maybe there is a glitch in this jump back: It opens the note in wide view, without the notes list.

Hope I could help you somewhat.

32 minutes ago, Tim Hudson said:

My question becomes: when a note is displayed in the Note Panel, but the corresponding snippet is not visibly shown on my current screen highlighted in the Note List, is there a way to make that happen other than scrolling and finding it in the Note List?

There now seems to often be a mismatch between the note list and the note preview. In your case the note is in the note list somewhere but not visible, but is is also quite possible to have a note in the preview pane which is not even in the note list.

I've not found a good work around. There is a keyboard shortcut called "Focus on note list" but it doesn't seem to do anything for me. 

It does depend on why you want to see the note in the note list. If this is to see notes created around the same time, then a filter/search is probably your best bet. I think all the options when you right click a note in the note list are also available from the the three dots menu at the to right of the preview pane.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mike P said:

I've not found a good work around. There is a keyboard shortcut called "Focus on note list" but it doesn't seem to do anything for me. 

... it works sometimes (for me [*]) 😞 - but it is poor design in the new UI for two reasons:

• Legacy simply focused automatically when clicking on internal links
    • it's super-easy to see the where the destination note is located because its notebook is highlighted in the left navigation panel
    • and it is highlighted in the note list (where @Tim Hudson hopes to find it) 😉

• Assigned keystroke for "Focus on note list" is Alt-Ctrl-\ which is a 4-click-sequence on German keyboards because "\" is reachable only with AltGr:
    image.png.5a83e8ac6bfd5266c5455df7b33e94da.png
    So you have to click Alt-Ctrl-AltGr-\ to execute the function (that nobody wants to be forced to...)

[*] my feeling is that Alt-Ctrl-AltGr-\ needs some time to run. Sometimes it seems to do nothing. In all other cases it works - and if it does its job, it seems that re-executing the same test, the target is displayed immediately as requested - until you do another test with other notes...

All-in-all the new UI is by far not fluidy and reliable enough for daily work...