Read Only (Locked) notes

My Evernote uses a external app Filterize, which has the wonderful ability to make a note readonly depending on a tag. So if I add the Tag "ReadOnly" to a note, Filterize makes the read only (locks the note) and it can't be accidentally changed (this is critical for our use case).

Unfortunately Filterize are stopping their integration with Evernote so I'm going to lose this functionality.

Two questions

1. If I don't Unlock the note before filterize stop their service is it locked forever or is there a way to manually force an unlock ?

2. Is there an alternative way to lock a note so it can't be accidentally changed.

Cheers

David

• Level 5*

Hi.  We are aware that Filterize is closing down - they say due to API changes at Evernote.  I use them a lot too :(  I'd suggest talking to them to find out how they lock your notes.  It may be that when the Filterize connection ends your notes will automatically become unlocked...

• Evernote Expert

I think, for point 1, you'll need to ask Filterize.

There is no method to lock a note inside Evernote. In fact I'm not sure how Filterize achieved this. This is an occasionally requested feature dating back long before the current version or, indeed, the current owners.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

I think, for point 1, you'll need to ask Filterize.

There is no method to lock a note inside Evernote. In fact I'm not sure how Filterize achieved this.

https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/read_only_notes.php#Examples is how they achieved it. Sadly my emails about this to Filterize have gone unanswered, thus asking in here.

• Evernote Expert

If you can work with the dev tools then you may be able to work things out.

There are few if any users working with the dev tools in these forums.

There is no means within the Evernote apps. I'd be making plans to unlock the notes before Filterize ceases to work with Evernote.

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, david_navigator said:

That's the plan, but with 10,000 Locked notes, there's bound to be some that get overlooked.

If a specific tag locks the note can’t you search on the tag, then select all and just remove it?

That is a useful feature. It would be nice if Evernote implemented something similar.

>If a specific tag locks the note can’t you search on the tag, then select all and just remove it?

Yes that's my Plan, but I don't know how much I trust Evernote. I just tried it with 4 notes and EN displayed "removing Tag from 2 notes", it then removed it from all 4 !!

• Level 5*
18 minutes ago, david_navigator said:

Yes that's my Plan, but I don't know how much I trust Evernote. I just tried it with 4 notes and EN displayed "removing Tag from 2 notes", it then removed it from all 4 !!

Well , it did what it was supposed to do, but told you incorrectly.  That is concerning, but I’m not sure there is any other option.

• Evernote Expert

I confess that I haven't bulk untagged notes before.  I think you'll be limited to batches of not more than 100 notes at a time. So if only 98 were untagged then the remaining two will still be in your account and remain in the search results. So nothing will be lost.

Edit:  I ran a test on seven notes.  I removed the desired tag from the group.  Evernote reported Removing 1 tag from 7 notes and that's what it did.  Looks like you might have experienced a temporary glitch.

• Like 1