Searching for reminders

Dave-in-Decatur

Idea

• Level 5

I have this as a saved search: "reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+3". This finds all notes with reminders today and in the next 3 days. Sometimes it has found notes with reminders today that have already passed (a note with a reminder due at 10:00 that I searched for at 10:30). Lately it has not been doing that; if it's past the reminder time today, the note is not returned. According to the dev article (https://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/search_grammar.php#Date_Time_Arguments), the argument "day" on "a client with a local date and time of: Wednesday, 31 October 2007, 13:30:56 ... would evaluate to: Wednesday, 31 October 2007, 00:00:00"; and "reminderTime:day Matches all notes with a reminder set for today or later" -- without regard to whether its time had passed, right? Any thoughts (assuming I'm making myself clear)?

7 replies to this idea

That's annoying. Another example of the search syntax being changed with no notification? What about extending your search backwards a day. You might also have to exclude completed reminders. Something like

reminderTime:day-1 -reminderTime:day+3 -reminderDoneTime:*

Hi.

I just created this search for reminders including today and the next 30 days. It seems to work.

remindertime:day-1

-remindertime:day+30

I have saved this search for reminders for today and seven days before today:

remindertime:day-7

-remindertime:day+1

-reminderDoneTime:day-20

It works like a charm on the Home page and using the search function 🔍.

Did it help?

-----------

Edit:

I know see that I am using the same search syntax as Mike P «What about extending your search backwards a day

Edited by Ole380
Added extra comment.
  • Level 5

Thanks, @Mike P and @Ole380. I'll have to check when I get a moment. Esp. adding -remindertime:day+1 may be useful. The weird thing is that this always used to work right, then awhile ago it quit working right, then a week or two ago it worked right again, and now it doesn't work again. What are they doing that affects search syntax like this?

• Like 3
  • Level 5
On 12/5/2023 at 12:05 PM, Dave-in-Decatur said:

Thanks, @Mike P and @Ole380. I'll have to check when I get a moment. Esp. adding -remindertime:day+1 may be useful. The weird thing is that this always used to work right, then awhile ago it quit working right, then a week or two ago it worked right again, and now it doesn't work again. What are they doing that affects search syntax like this?

I've finally taken a look and "reminderTime:day-1 -reminderTime:day+3" does work as "reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+3" used to and ought to work. Thanks.

• Like 2

Any input on what has changed and why? 

I've found that something changed so that my saved searches stopped working sometime in November/December as they did before. I'm based in Stockholm. How should I set up my saved search to only show me the notes with a due date that is today in Stockholm?

Thanks in advance. 

Something the developers are doing is messing with this search syntax.  I have found it goes back & forth and works after some recent releases and then stops working again after another release.  I have submitted an ongoing ticket to Evernote Support, and they act like they have no idea what I am talking about.  Just recently my saved search of notes that have a reminder date of today only (reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+1) switches to notes with a reminder date of tomorrow at 6pm.  It doesn't matter if I change my timezone in my preferences.  I speculate that somehow they are not using the local timezone date but Greenwich Mean Time as I am in Central Time in the United States which is -6:00 from GMT.

This is getting frustrating!  Maybe it means I need to stop using Evernote at 6pm. LOL

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

A mess, @AprilS. I haven't noticed it be that bad, but usually I just get the list of notes from the search and find the one(s) I need. So far they're there with the "reminderTime:day-1 -reminderTime:day+3" syntax. Wish the developers would just work in their own sandbox till stuff is really ready to release.