v10 and note portability

• Level 5*

I have seen some posts on Joplin forum from multiple Evernote users who were using v10 and their enex files were missing some note titles, which would obviously create an issue if trying to import enex into any other note app. This doesn't seem to be an issue with EN Legacy, but it seems v10 generates a slightly different enex file than Legacy. Anyone else notice this?

Also, is it still possible for v10 users to revert to Legacy (I recall it was possible early on in the life of v10)?

• Level 5*

I haven’t noticed that particular problem posted before. 

Evernote is at the “Legacy is highly discouraged and close to ending point.” V10 uses a different sync technology and Legacy doesn’t support some of the new features such as tasks.  They no longer provide links to Legacy download but you can find it on sites such as filehippo.  That said, if one is concerned with exporting from v10 and instead wants to export from Legacy, that should still be possible.

Edit: Someone just posted about missing titles.  Maybe a new issue?

• Level 5*

Rather than post one of the Joplin forum threads here, I'll post a couple of comments. Maybe someone on v10 can confirm or refute.

Well of course the thing to do, which I should have done before, was to examine the ENEX file in a text editor and sure enough the problem is in Evernote's export to ENEX facility. All my ENEX exports have the note titles set to Untitled Note. 

Further investigation of my Evernote 10 installation showed that even though all my notes are correctly listed in in Evernote the right order (ie by title) in each of my notebooks and if an individual note is then selected it also has what appears to be the correct title at the top of the note pane if you instead right click on a note's snippet in the central Note List pane and select Note Info from the right click menu the majority of my notes apparently don't really have a title "under the bonnet".

This seems to be affecting some notes, not all notes, as in, upon import of enex, some notes have titles, and some do not.

• Evernote Expert

All I can say is that the export is good.

<en-export export-date="20231201T142850Z" application="Evernote" version="10.67.2">
  <note>
    <title>Things to Do</title>
    <created>20220630T082636Z</created>
    <updated>20231130T180959Z</updated>
    <note-attributes>

image.png.3ff9caae2bb0efdfb959a56cb27cbe94.png

If Joplin isn't playing well then perhaps ask Joplin support why not.

• Level 5*

If Joplin isn't playing well then perhaps ask Joplin support why not.

It's not Joplin - as quoted above, one of the people experiencing this issue can see the problem in the enex itself. If the enex doesn't show a title, no app that can import enex is going to pick up a title.

Interesting that some seem to have this problem (and even then, not for all their notes), but others do not. But it does seem limited to v10. Haven't seen any missing note title issues with Legacy enex exports.

• Level 5*
4 minutes ago, agsteele said:

I'm not willing to speculate.  I cannot replicate the issue.  Have you tried yourself?  That would be the way to go for your own data.

I appreciate you trying to replicate. Anyway, now that this thread is up, if others run into this issue, maybe they'll find this thread and post.

I transferred thousands of notes without issue, but I never left v6/Legacy, so I cannot speak to v10.

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same issue, Evernote 10.67.4. Note title appears fine in all views I can find except right-clicking, "Note Info" reveals there is no Title ("Untitled"). Export has "Untitled Note" exactly as @tavor said.

I do recall there used to be an option to auto-title or use the first line of the note as the title. My memory is not what it used to be. 

I am currently importing my ~4k notes into legacy V6 to see if exporting from that resolves the issue.