Moving from Notability to Evernote

Hello all, I see no way to contact via phone so I am posting in here in hopes for an answer.

I would like to move from Notability to Evernote. In Notability many of my notes are assigned a "subject" in an effort to organize the notes. I am looking to see if there is a way to import the notes into Evernote and retain the "subject" on each note - possibly transferring it to a "tag" in Evernote.

I have over 2,000 notes I can import but I haven't found a way to retain the subject. Does anyone have any experience with this?

• Level 5*

Hi.  With 80+ other apps in the market all including their own special features,  Evernote has no import options that deal with individual product formats. 

It's possible to import text, PDF and HTML files,  copy/ paste content from other applications,  and attach (almost) any file type to a note.  So possibly the most important question is - in what formats can you export material from your existing app? 

Converting subjects to tags won't be easily possible,  though if you can save the content as PDF files (forinstance) with the Subject as the filename,  the PDF files can be imported directly to Evernote with <subject>.PDF as the note title.

If automation apps like IFTTT and Zapier are compatible with your existing app,  you may be able to selectively import and tag different types of note.  To manage the structure after import you may want to look into Filterize which can deal with newly synced notes in Evernote and (for instance) could spot a <subject> keyword in a title and convert that to a tag.

Depending on your needs and existing content,  one easy option may be to do nothing;  keep your existing database as a reference and simply start all new notes in Evernote.  If you occasionally need some history from the 'old' system,  just copy/ paste it manually into Evernote if and when required.

Hope some of that helps - good luck!  

• Level 5

No experience with that sort of import.

If you want to use the OCR, make sure you import picture files (jpg, png, gif), not pdfs. You probably used Notability for handwritten notes - handwriting will only be OCRed when coming as picture files. Handwriting in pdfs will not be OCRed, and by this will not become part of the search index.

In general EN is no friendly environment for handwritten note taking. If this is important for you, make a test run on the Free version before committing to a subscription.

• Level 5*
On 11/24/2023 at 9:23 PM, JasonEleazar said:

you mentioned to use "HTML" files to import from other note apps. How is this done? I already looked into this and did not see anyway to use HTML files to import?

The HTML route is not strictly import,  but those files can be opened in a browser and Clippered into Evernote.