Real Time Edit badly broken – can I disable?

J D

Idea

I'm on Mac, running both the evernote app, and on a separate box, evernote web app.

It happens constantly that I type in some things, and some of what I just typed, or what I typed minutes earlier, disappears. This happens on the web client, and it happens on the app. I long ago started making sure I have only ONE client displaying any particular note, and I try to close clients I'm not actively using.

I repro'd it just now on the web client. First I pasted in "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog." a number of times. Then I typed in the alphabet as you see. Then I started typing in palindromes, just before the last "quick brown fox" sentence in the paragraph. I typed in ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA. A MAN A PLAN A CANAL PANAMA. Then as I sat thinking what to type next, the last palindrome disappeared as did the "lazy dog" paragraph which had followed it. Other paragraphs before and after were not affected (as far as I know). Here's what's left:

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog. ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA.
Is there any way for me to turn off collaborative / realtime editing? I don't need that feature and I'm pretty sure all this bugginess is due to it. All my clients are, unfortunately, fully updated so RTE is on. :(
What I have to do now is take all my notes in text edit, then paste them as a block into Evernote. I wait a few minutes, look to see if it's all still there, there I assume it's safe.

2 replies to this idea

Nope, there is no way to turn off real-time editing AFAIK.

I have only seen similar symptoms posted a few times on the forums over the last many months, so while I'm not doubting that you have a terrible problem there (terrible!), I think this might be more local to your specific account/setup/configuration rather than a widespread issue and so I'd work to troubleshoot your particular problem.

What platforms and exact version of the client are you running on each platform? (Just saying "the latest version" just means you think you are on the latest version.) For the web - can you post a screenshot of what you are looking at? (Just to double-check and make sure that it looks like you are on v10 and not the classic web version.)

When did these problems first start appearing for you? Any other details you can offer? These details might help others possibly notice something that you have overlooked.

I think you should also submit a ticket if you are a subscriber and haven't done so already.

Good luck.

• Level 5

There are 2 relevant settings for the web client in account settings:

Page 1 Evernote Web must be on the new client

Page 2 Web Client must have the checkbox enabled for v10+

I use web and installed client side by side frequently, and never had an issue yet. This does not say you didn't have your experience , it's just to tell we better first check the accessible parameters .