Loading (recent) old version of Evernote

Go to solution Solved by JohnY.,

Recently updated on W11 Desktop to 10.65.2-win-ddl-public (20231027153932) / Editor: v176.15.0 / Service: v1.77.0

Having problems with response - it takes roughly a minute to switch between notes (82,691 notes in total - have been using Evernote for a while!).

Laptop is running 10.62.3 with no similar performance issues so wish to go back to that version on my W11 desktop PC.

Any suggestions how I can download a version from Evernote directly. Could use the install file from the laptop but unsure of any implications of trying that approach.

It's not a question of 10.62 or 10.65... If you have 10.62 on your laptop running since a longer time, it was enough time to sync all the data.

A new installation of any version on a new desktop will take some time (hours, days, ...) to get all the data transferred to your local disc. If this process has completed, EN10.x will come to better response times. 

Thanks for the reply AlbertR - a few subsidiary questions (if you have the time and inclination)...

• What is a reasonable time for the transfer to take?
    • As mentioned I have been using Evernote for some time (>12 years)
      • this is the longest period (by some distance) following an update where the performance sucks
      • and quite possibly the worst performance (which given some of the nightmares we have had is saying something!)
    • I like loading latest versions (which may not be the smartest move) so I haven't skipped or jumped very far to get to 10.65
  • Once a note is loaded locally why does it take significant time to reload the same note?

Regards

John

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, JohnY. said:

and does the following look reasonable?

Looks like your app is doing internal housekeeping.  Give it 2-3 days after the update and if you're still having that much activity,  try a full-on reinstall;  sign out removing the database/  uninstall with Appcleaner or similar/ power the device off and on/ re-download from Evernote.com/ reinstall.  There seems to be work going on in the background to speed up syncs and increase speeds generally,  but they're having to maintain compatibility with Legacy / older v10 versions and the current release.  I think things will get very much better,  but we may have to wait out this year while they continue tinkering...

7 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Looks like your app is doing internal housekeeping.  Give it 2-3 days after the update and if you're still having that much activity,  try a full-on reinstall;  sign out removing the database/  uninstall with Appcleaner or similar/ power the device off and on/ re-download from Evernote.com/ reinstall.  There seems to be work going on in the background to speed up syncs and increase speeds generally,  but they're having to maintain compatibility with Legacy / older v10 versions and the current release.  I think things will get very much better,  but we may have to wait out this year while they continue tinkering...

Thanks gazumped

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

Just to update anyone who spots this post, suffering from the same (or similar) issues ...

The poor performance remained a problem until the next version (10.66.3) was loaded. At that point the performance returned to normal (or possibly even improved). Once the new version was loaded there was no delay before performance improved it was like a switch off then on!

• Like 2