Unable to delete ghost tag from existence.

BlackSole

Idea

I run evernote on MacOs, iOS and Windows 10.  My Windows 10 installation is showing a tag (with 26 notes have as assigned, but there are none).

If I select "Remove tag from all notes..." I get the message: "Failed to remove [tagname] from all notes..."

If I select "Delete tag..." I get the message: "Failed to delete tag.."

I have uninstalled Evernote, delete files from C:\Users\[username]\Evernote\* files.  (Not sure if this is helps or is relevant to current version)

Rebooted my machine and reinstalled....and (drumroll please)....Still there.

Any ideas?

I am running latest version of Evernote for Windows (10.64.4-win-ddl-public (20231024105232),Editor: v176.15.0,Service: v1.76.1)

9 replies to this idea

Only my Windows 10 installation is showing this tag.  The web location is not.  Not sure if that was understood from my description.

I will give it a try anyway. but I anticipate that there will be no tag to delete on the web, as it's not there now.

As I expected.  Closed out Evernote on  iPhone, iPad, Mac and PC.  Opened up web version.  Tag still not there.  Closed web version and opened up PC version....tag still there.

• Level 5

Maybe the new data structure (with Tasks and all that) is beyond an easy repair - frankly I have no idea.

But when there are signs of database corruption (like long startup time, ghost notebooks, tags, notes or tasks, high CPU load, etc.), the only fix is to purge the current install, and download a fresh copy. To really get rid of everything, an Uninstaller like Revo (PC) or AppCleaner (Mac) is necessary.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Maybe the new data structure (with Tasks and all that) is beyond an easy repair - frankly I have no idea.

The easiest way to "repair" an corrupted database might be to simple remove local data and re-sync. This would save the user from having to re-install the application after un-installing it by using special tools - and would save a lot of time. Not a big task for EN developers... 

• Level 5

Yeah, I agree - but when I tested, the results were not reproducible. Sometimes it worked, but sometimes I found out later it hasn’t solved everything.

So I’m for the radical cut, with a complete purge and reinstall. No hesitating …