Auto-import question and customization?

EN 10.63.3 desktop app MacOS  Sonoma  MBP M1

I have an AutoImport folder set up on my internal drive. In the past, I recall that after importing a file, the instance of that file was deleted and the EN copy was kept somewhere in Application Support in Library or somewhere else in the bowels of MacOS.

Now, the file I place in the AutoImport folder stays there and a Finder search does not show a second instance of the file in Library (if I am searching properly)

Does this mean that files attached through AutoImport folder live in that folder permanently and there is no other instance on my laptop?

• Level 5*

Hi.  No - we are still waiting for the autodelete function.  If you want to check though,  you could import and delete a small text file from, there, making sure its still available in Evernote.

Yes, after deleting a small text tile from Autoimport folder, it's still immediately in the EN note. I can't find it anywhere in Library, but I guess it is stored under a name or in a container not labeled with the original name.

• Evernote Expert

I have a simple batch file that I run in Windows on a schedule that empties the Import Folders. The same could be done with MacOS.  That serves me perfectly well until the function returns.

1 hour ago, agsteele said:

I have a simple batch file that I run in Windows on a schedule that empties the Import Folders. The same could be done with MacOS.  That serves me perfectly well until the function returns.

And it's certain that emptying that folder in w MacOS environment won't cause a problem?

• Evernote Expert

Yes. Emptying the folder will not affect what is stored inside Evernote.

If you want to be sure, make a copy of one of the imported files and store it somewhere else. Then delete the copy in the Import Folder. I guarantee that nothing will happen inside Evernote.

The only impact inside Evernote would arise if you edited one of the files in the folder. A change would cause a new additional note containing the edited file to be created. So nothing lost.